• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What was your first job?

Started by Pat, April 18, 2011, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MB

This was not my first job, but it was interesting & I was young.  I worked for 4 years in the with the Kemp's ridleys sea turtle.  We protected them from extinction & it has worked so far...In the first picture i am collecting eggs from a nest.
MB

Pat

What a wonderful and interesting opportunity you had there MB!  Fantastic photos also.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

MB, what a great photo of you and what an interesting job. That's looks so rewarding and how great to be able to work outdoors!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

I'm wondering MB what affect the BP oil spill has had on the turtles?

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

MB

Who knows what he oil spill will do to them.  The only turtles that get counted are the females when they come out to lay eggs.  They dont lay eggs until they are about 25 years old, so we wont know the effect of the oil spill right away. 
MB

Hannie

Nice photo MB, what a wonderful job you had!
So, it may be another 24 years till we know the full extend of damage to the turtles due to the oil spill...

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

MB

Yes, 25+ years may take before we know how many of the hatchlings (immature) turtles died.  They will get a count on the females that come in to lay eggs this year.  The males never come in....so that number we wont ever know.  It took over 25-35 years to see the conservation success. 
MB

Pat

If the turtles don't lay eggs until they are around 25 years old they must normally have quite a long life span MB? 

The following is information I found on Wikipedia.  I'm sure it's information you are already familiar with MB but for others who might be interested....

Some Kemp's ridleys were airlifted from Mexico after the 1979 blowout of the Ixtoc 1 rig, which spilled millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

The Deepwater Horizon oil spill menaces a wide variety of marine life, from dolphins to blue crabs. Since April 30, 2010, 10 days after the accident on the Deepwater Horizon, they have recorded 156 sea turtle deaths; most of the turtles were Kemp's ridleys. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration expanded a fishing ban in the Gulf of Mexico because of the spreading oil. Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries biologists and enforcement agents have rescued Kemp's ridleys in Grand Isle.

Of the endangered marine species that frequent Gulf waters, only the Kemp's ridley relies on the region as its sole breeding ground.

As part of the effort to save the species from some of the devastating effects of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, scientists have begun taking eggs from their nests and incubating them elsewhere. Sixty-seven eggs were collected from a nest along the Florida Panhandle on June 26, 2010, and brought to a temperature-controlled warehouse at NASA's Kennedy Space Center, but only 56 hatched. State and federal officials plan to bring thousands more eggs for incubation in the coming months.

The overall plan is to pluck some 70,000 eggs from sea turtle nests on beaches across Alabama and Florida before they hatch and swim out into the oil from the April 20 Deepwater Horizon rig explosion off Louisiana. NASA currently has about 1,100 eggs at the space center site incubating.
Pat

Pat

Attention all of you newer members!  With the exception of one or two we've not heard from you here  :(.  Have none of you had a first job experience you'd like to share??  Maybe you've had a particularly interesting job?  Have you had a really unusual or fun job?  Or a job that was just horrible and you hated it?  We would really enjoy getting to know you better.

We'd also like to invite you to join us in the "What is your hobby?" topic or just check into the "New Volunteer Welcome Center" and meet your fellow volunteers. 

Pat
Pat

helen

My first job was in commercial marketing department. I was a Junior Secretary/Administration. I stayed with that company for five years became Assistant Commercial Manager in charge of all Marketing Job, Tele Sales, Translator, Marketing for Import and Export.

Todate My main career is Office Manager an all rounder, Accounting. My new hobby career is Web Designer, Digital Artist. My hobbies for the last 4 years has been photo retouching photo restoration and vintage photo colourizing.

At this stage of my years I am debating whether to take my new hobby as main career.

helen

Pat

Hi Helen,

What an interesting career you've had.  Wouldn't it be great to have your hobby become your new career!  You will certainly fit right in around here.  If you are free to post any of those old vintage photos you've colorized we'd love to see couple of them here.  Or if you have an example of some of your digital artwork please feel free to post it here also; we'd love to see it. 

Do you know how to post an image here in the forum?

You can use Photobucket, Flickr or Imageshack for posting images in the forum.  The following link has directions for all three.  http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2002.msg19920.html#msg19920

Pat

Pat