• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What was your first job?

Started by Pat, April 18, 2011, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

Pat,

I am a little slow. You asked about a photo of me at the boat livery. There were no photos taken while I worked there. However, I found one of me in earlier training. That is me in the sailor dixie cup. That is my dad bent over holding on the the motor.  I think the boy with the arm in the sling worked there. The carrier could be handled with one arm. Once it got going it was a matter of pointing at the water. Coming back up you could wrap one leg around the end of the bar and guide it up with your legs. Did that many times.

The other boat livery in the background was the competition.

Johnboy

Pat

Johnboy what a wonderful photo.  Thanks for sharing it with us!

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Johnboy, great photo! Sounds like a fun job to start out.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Cute photo Johnboy! 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Good grief, I didn't realize I've been missing in action for so long. I'm not recovering from losing Aaron Neville very quickly.  I guess when you've had a little furry shadow for 14 years that was a non-stop "talking" lap cat and he all of a sudden disappears, getting over the loss doesn't come right away.

I've enjoyed reading through this thread to find out what you've all done in your past.

I started working my senior year in high school.  I was a typesetter for three county newspapers in a small town in Maryland.  I got so burned out that I even set type in my sleep.  When I got out of school, I stayed with one of the newspapers and became a "production" person: setting type, headlines, pasting up pages - whatever needed doing.  It was so long ago that the machine I used for setting type had a roll of hole-punched paper that came from the unit into which I typed and was fed into another to actually justify and print the copy. I was doing that when JFK was assassinated.  500 years ago.  I found an old shot of a co worker, former classmate and Facebook friend (who won't talk to me now because she doesn't like my outspoken politics), in my scan folder and will post that.  I think I'd have been about 18 at the time.

I loved the people for whom I worked, but it was a tough job with very long hours.  I did become friends with an older man who was the editor of one of the papers.  He was so intelligent and articulate that his editorials were sometimes reprinted in Time Magazine.  He was also a complete drunk, and nearly got us both killed when he ran a stop light on the main highway right in front of a huge truck.  Thank heavens for guardian angels.

So now I'm a somewhat recalcitrant (hopefully not for long) photo restorer and have been doing a lot of retouching for the international singing group on FB.  I still love doing both!

Marcia and me (in striped shirt) working our tushes off in around 1964

Lovelyn, one of the Wild Blossoms - from the Philippines via Nigeria - in a retouched photo I posted about a month ago. I masked her out of a nondescript background and placed her on a new one.  Ditto Sagarika. The 4 singers are all drop-dead gorgeous.

Sagarika, another WB - from India. 

Anyway, trying to get my head on straight and get back to work.  And adjusting to ONLY having 4 cats.  What an empty house!

Hugs to all of you.  Love the photos and knowing more about my wonderful OPR pals.

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Pat

Glenna how wonderful to see your post.  You've certainly been missed around the forum!

What an interesting read.  Your really jumped into the workforce at full speed.  No wonder you were setting type in your sleep!  Did you even notice your senior year go by?
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

GK, great to see you back. you have been missed! What a neat photo and a very interesting job! I'm sorry about your loosing so many of your furry shadows and 14 years for Aaron Neville would be hard.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Thanks, my friends, for the welcome back.  I hope I can keep it together now.  If my last 4 cats will hang in there, I should be okay.

I told Iron Man this morning that we've gone from the breakfast begging song being the "mormon tabby-nackle choir" to a sad little barbershop quartet.  Quite a difference from having 11 a little over a year ago.  And my babies just turned 11, so they're all elderly, like us. Margie, I know you appreciate what a treasure Aaron Neville was to me.  I loved all of them greatly, but he was my constant companion.  Sometimes I walk around in circles looking for him.

Pat, working all those hours made my senior year go by really quickly, and because I was slacking a bit on my studies, I almost lost my honor society pin.  That would have broken my heart.  So I scrambled to study more (physics, trig, advanced English - all pre-college courses), and almost made salutatorian. That was most definitely a very, very busy and interesting year!

Hugs
GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Hi Glenna,

It is great to see you posting again, we missed you!
Lovely photo of you at 18, the machine looks interesting, sounds like you had a great job even though it was tiring.
Give the fur balls a great big cuddle for me and I hope we'll see more of you!

:-*

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Glad to see you back Glenna,

We all know when we take on a pet that we are likely to have to cope with its loss. The pluses always more than compensate for the eventual loss but unfortunately there is no medicine, other than time to help us recover.

We had to have put down a 14 year old Cocker on Xmas eve a few years ago and the feeling was that we would never have another. We lasted 3 months.

Maybe you should get a dog, think of all the excitement and distraction that would create ::)

Athol

Mhayes

GK, good advice from Athol and anyone that has lost a beloved pet knows the feeling of loss. I was fine until I got to the last sentence: "Maybe you should get a dog, think of all the excitement and distraction that would create." Athol, you are a devil!

The last 3 weeks of having a new puppy with two cats is sort of like being in a war zone. Things have settled down, but the cats are not happy with my choice of a distraction. Right now I'm hoping they will get used to each other and become friends, but that seems way off in the future when they are all either older or sedated.

One piece of advice: Never have two cats in your lap with a puppy beside you in a crate, because puppy seeing that one of the cats on the arm of the chair is gazing down at her with an evil eye will decide to bark and jump at the instigator. That causes both cats to panic and springboard off my lap. That resulted in a trip to the medicine cabinet for Band Aids and cleaning off the blood. Yes, excitement and distractions!

Athol, sorry for your loss! Did you get a pup and is it a cocker?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Margie,

I would appreciate it if you stopped the character assassination, my dog thinks I am wonderful.

Yes she is an English Cocker and we got her as a pup. So far we have had a poodle, two corgies and four cockers over I am not sure how many years.

I was spoiled for cats when young. We had the best cat you could imagine, a smokey grey persian  that always played with her claws sheathed and the few I have looked at since never measured up.

Sounds like you are having lots of fun and may survive the war. What about a weekly report, ie the number of band-aids, bites, scratches etc

Athol

Mhayes

Athol,

I will try to rein in my comments about your character so that your dog can continue in ignorant bliss. A cat would have been wise to you by now.

Yes, it has been great fun <cough> and I will consider a weekly report if I'm functional. I neglected to mention that it took me a little while to recognize that the strange sounds in the house were not mechanical, but rather the cat in the kitchen growling so loud that I could hear it in the living room. The other cat (avatar) has a low growl that doesn't at first register as coming from a cat. Plus, either my hearing is faulty or the cats are ventriloquist and manage to throw their voices. Not to go overboard here, but did I mention that I am also a blood donor---to the ticks outside? They are so bad that I am considering putting the pup in Depends.

Hope your Cocker is as much fun.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Sounds like a great script for reality TV ::)

Athol

Mhayes

Yes, but I want actors to take over!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]