• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

family pictures

Started by Judy, August 25, 2011, 07:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy

I got into photo restoration by inheriting family pictures and promising to digitize them.  In quiet moments I go back and look at some of the early ones to search for new things I can do now that I have more arrows in my quiver.  I saw this picture of an Aunt who recently died at the age of 89.  I love the picture as it symbolizes her so much.  My cousin said "she is already ahead of her time and sitting straddle rather than ladylike".  She just looks so annoyed, she turned out to be an extremely intelligent and independent lady.  Never married, but lived with a gentleman for about 50 years.  Way ahead of her time, and her mother was from Memphis, very typical Southern lady; she hid her arrangements from her.  I have pictures from the 1900s of the mother.

Do you have similar photos you love?

Judy

Pat

Judy what a great topic!  I can certainly see why this photo is so precious to you.  Thank you so much for starting this thread.  I going to go digging in our old photos.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

glennab

Love it, Judy.  I have a wonderful photo that my sister sent me last Christmas of my late mother and her brothers and sisters back in the mid-30s, I'd guess.  I'll have to scan it, but not only is it a great photo of them, they're standing in front of a gorgeous old car.  I'll have to find out from IM what it is. Hope to scan it tomorrow.  Spent this evening working on the mother of all difficult restorations.  Holy crow!  This is a test!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Judy, what a fantastic photo of your Aunt! I will have to do some digging, but there is one I really love, but not sure which relative.

Thanks for posting!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Judy

Glad everyone likes the topic, and I am looking forward to your pix too.

I mentioned my Southern grandmother, this is her graduating class circa 1895.  The picture is on heavy cardboard.  I don't know what process they used but it didn't fade (I don't think) anywhere nearly as much as the snap photos I have from years later.  For example the Aunt's photo was very faded.

I look at this and think those Memphis girls really knew how to do graduation.  Compared to my high school graduation picture in a boring cap and gown on stadium bleachers -- this is so lovely.

Don't you wonder where all the men are?  I have a pix of her grade school class and there are very few boys in that either.

I got these early pictures when the Aunt who is fishing died.  What treasures!

Judy

schen

In those days, high school graduation is huge especially for girls, it was the turning point of her life.  Today, they just move on to next step of education.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

I suppose it is funny that the one photo I love is of a relative that I'm not sure of the identity, but think it is of my great uncle's son (the dog unknown). It is different to have a studio photo with the dog. It was shot by Rogers Studio in Wichita, KS. I love old photos that have the card stock backing. Here is a link that will give you a reference for dates and the styles back then. http://www.suite101.com/content/types-of-old-photos-a28058

I put black behind the photo to show the edges of the photo better.

If I were the photographer I wouldn't make any sudden moves!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Judy

Love it, I just looked at it and started chuckling. 

I have a couple of those photos with the cardstock backing and they do seem to wear well, just a few scratches.

It is so frustrating not to be able to identify people, though.  I know I came into my photos after a lot of the people who knew about them were already dead.  I do have a couple of cousins who indulge me and try to figure out who is who along with me when I send them my clues.

Judy 

Tess (Tassie D)

I'll have to dig out the laptop and get the photos off that I restored for my parents. They were wonderful.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

srcrocke

I wonder if they did most of the work in the darkroom or if they used lighting the way we do today.

Sandra