• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Photo Shoot in Japan

Started by david_gr, March 19, 2011, 01:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

Margie,

Do we know anyone in or near Japan that would be willing to organize a photo shoot?  I know it's early but maybe not for planning.  The represents a tremendous opportunity for us to help people who have been and are going through so much disaster.  If we could only find someone already in Japan willing to take this on.

Well, its something to think about anyway.  Maybe there is someone out there who only needs to be asked.

David Gr

Mhayes

David,

I would love for us to help those in Japan with damaged photos, but we cannot do it under the direction of OPR. We are registered as a nonprofit organization within the United States and cannot operate outside our borders. We also do not have the funds and DigMyPics could not foot the cost of printing. Someday I hope that OPR can branch out, but that means specifically having legal documents allowing us to operate in a specific country and having members set up over there to run operations as a branch. However, there are ways we can help.

When Australia suffered massive flooding, we contacted all of our Aussie members to see if they could organize efforts to rescue photos, but not as an official OPR copy run. We would advise and if they needed could upload the damaged photos to us and members would be allowed to restore them. Once they were completed the photos would be downloaded back to them so that they could burn a CD and give back to the family. So far with the exception of a mini-run that Tess did, this has yet to take off. If we have anyone in Japan that would like to do the same, please contact us.

I saw in the news where a man in Japan went back to gets his photographs and he lost his life as the tsunami hit. I see people returning and trying to retrieve what is left of their memories. For now the dangers of radiation and the continuing search and rescue will be the first priority.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

MB

I would love to work on Japanese photos...and, every little thing helps...I thought we were a global organization..we need to go to Japan..are we not global?  MB
MB

MB

We have to go to Japan...it has to happen!
MB

Hannie

MB, as Margie pointed out we cannot do it under the direction of OPR as we are registered as a nonprofit organization within the United States and cannot operate outside our borders.

In time, when the poor people of Japan don't have to worry about day to day health/safety issues any volunteers over there with camera can do a copy run, just like Tess did in Australia.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

The Japanese people are very good at working in teams and accomplishing goals for the greater good. If anyone could set up an organization like OPR, it would be the Japanese. They also have a number of photographic associations. Perhaps OPR could send an email to the Photographic Society of Japan http://www.psj.or.jp/, which has over 1600 members, and offer to share our experience with them, if they are interested.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Tori,

That is a great suggestion and I will check it out.

The reason we have to follow the rules of our 503 (c) nonprofit is that if we don't---we will lose our nonprofit status. We are struggling as it is for funds and to loose that would put us out of business. We CAN HELP, but we cannot operate under the OPR banner in another country without being registered in that country. For a better explanation: http://www.ehow.com/how_6881545_start-international-non-profit.html

What we can do is offer help in the restoration of photos.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

I would certainly volunteer for any Japanese-led effort.
<C>