• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

More misery down under

Started by Tess (Tassie D), January 31, 2011, 09:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

As if we haven't had enough the state of Queensland is battening down the hatches as cyclone Yasi prepares to hit. Our cyclones are the same as the northern hurricanes.
This monster is a category 4. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/evacuations-begin-ahead-of-the-arrival-of-the-powerful-cyclone-yasi/story-fn7rj0ye-1225997968847
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Tess, our thoughts and prayers are with all of you! I hope there is a chance it could veer off course, but guess that is not likely. Hope that everyone can get out of the monster's path to safety.

:hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Hoping and praying that Yasi will lose power before it hits Cairns. 
It isn't fair that after all Queensland has been through, hoping everyone there will be OK. 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

We heard that it was going to be bad. Hope you're under cover!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

Holy crow, my beloved Aussies.  Talk about adding insult to injury.  I'm praying for your safety.  Living in hurricane alley in Florida, I know the fear and anticipation when one of those monsters threatens.  Be safe.  You're in my thoughts.

Hugs

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Charlene5

Enough Already!!  I'll be thinking of y'all and hoping for the best

MJ xx
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Tess (Tassie D)

We are hoping but I don't think this one is going to veer away. Its been upgraded to a category 5 and sped up so it should hit about 12 hours from now which unfortunately coincides with high tide so the storm surge will be huge.
The eye is 20 miles wide and they just lost the weather recording station on Willis Island. Its either damaged beyond repair or blown away.
Our prayers go out to all the areas that will be affected and hope eveyone stays safe.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Deborahjc

Anyone heard from Max?   
My thoughts and prayers are with the Queenslanders.  It's a gorgeous country (Pt Douglas might be my favourite place on earth) and it's people have a wonderful tough Pioneer spirit but this storm sounds absolutely horrible.   :-\

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi everyone, yes there has been a lot of devastation. Rainforests stripped, 1 in 3 homes in the affected areas either without roofs or demolished, major power outages as well as phones.
The good news is there are no reported injuries or deaths.

Max might get a bit of wind and rain but he is 800 miles south of the path.
Here's some video updates from our morning news program.
http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/-/watch/24041020/cyclone-yasi-update/
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

The thoughts are appreciated. At least it was downgraded to Catagory 3 by the time it hit the coast. I heard from Max a couple of days ago, still working on the clean up

This mornings paper also reported the heavy snow over much of the USA which will be causing its own set of problems and it has just reached 37 degrees here. Can we arrange a swap? ^-^

Athol

Hannie

Just watched the news and the damage is horrible.  I can't believe that nobody got hurt, precautions were really well done by the Aussie authorities, chapeau!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]