• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Misery Down Under

Started by Mhayes, January 10, 2011, 08:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiska

Hang in guys. Hope all goes well.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Here's an update: http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/12/australia.evacuation.center/

The first video has the title of: "Worse flooding yet to come . . ."

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Always the optimists, here is the latest, lower than expected but still devastating. http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/12/australia.floods/index.html?iref=NS1
The death toll is rising and so many are still missing though. They are talking weeks or more before people can move back into their homes. All will have to be inspected for safety and wiring inspected before electricity can be restored to each home.

We are now getting torrential rain around our state and we are already waterlogged. Flash flooding has occurred in several towns and cities in Victoria and Tasmania.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

It sounds like there is not going to be a break any time soon, it is such a mess! 
Great to see how people are helping out by donations of money and goods. 
Tess it I like the like the poem you once quoted:

'I love a sunburnt country, A land of sweeping plains, Of ragged mountain ranges, Of drought and flooding rains'

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Yeah we do love this country even though its the driest (supposed to be) inhabited continent on earth lol.
We have 5 states under flood watch now. Our state has 3 towns being evacuated but it all seemed to go round us last night.
I'll take the camera out today and get some photos of all the water.

Saw a beautiful story on the flood in Queensland last night. People in boats going round rescuing the horses that were treading water resting their heads on house roofs as they couldn't get to dry land.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

david_gr

I came across this news clip regarding the flooding. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/41060203#41060203

It's tragic about this 13 year old boy giving up his life for his brother.  I pray for you all down under.  :(

Tess (Tassie D)

Some of the stories are wonderful but heartbreaking. We drove around our area yesterday in Victoria and there is an awful lot of water with nowhere to go.
This is a 2 lane, sealed road to where hubby works. A few more pics here. http://tassied.wordpress.com/

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Tess, instead on your RV, you should be thinking of an ark. On your blog the sunset picture and the reflection of the trees in the water is beautiful especially if you didn't know what's the whole story.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Charlene5

I was going to say that those were beautiful photos in your blog but "beautiful" is the wrong word because flooding isn't beautiful.  You gave me a good idea of how things are and captured the feel of it.  This part of Texas is at the bottom of the Great Plains, so I know how it is with water having nowhere to go.  I know we're all following the story closely and hoping things turn around!!

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

glennab

To our wonderful Aussie volunteers:  Please be safe.  I've been watching the devastation on CNN all week, and it makes me weep to see water up to the roofs.  Max, Tess and Athol, please continue to fare well.

Hugs and best wishes to all of you.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

We are fine here now even though the creek is yet to peak. Our house is quite far from it.
Unfortunately the town of Charlton about 1.5 hours from here and many others are flooded. From the news I understand Charlton had 100% inundation into homes and businesses.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/more-evacuation-orders-in-victoria-floods/story-fn7ik2te-1225987869774
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Tonight's news was inspirational, there were traffic jams in Brisbane as hundreds of people turned up to help those who had water damage in their homes. The came with buckets, mops and the essential gum boots to clean out the mud and damaged possessions to allow people to get back into their damaged homes.  

The Army are involved and the Red Cross, Salvation Army, SES, Police, Fire Brigade and many other NGO's from all states and New Zealand are supporting those in need.

The Premier of Queensland has been giving regular press briefings and with the army and police representatives has really rallied the citizens of Queensland. So far no one has been prepared to even guess at the cost nationally.

Victoria has a way to go and I am sure will do just as well when the flood peaks pass.

I have a spare rubber duckie I can send you Tess if you think it might help

Athol  (the one with dry feet)

Hannie

Athol, that is good news, it will take a long time to clean up and rebuild.  I love the spirit of the Aussies, helping when they can without making it a big issue, really nice.  

Tess, I hope the rain stopped.   A rubber duckie? A couple of inner tubes would be more useful!

Hannie  
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

lol Hannie, a rubber ducky down here is one of these surf rescue boats. Not sure how they got nicknamed that.
We are safe and dry but towns only 30 miles away are on evacuation alerts waiting for the river peaks late tomorrow.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

:)
Thanks for explaining that Tess!

Victoria is not out of the woods yet, those poor people that only got a 10 minute notice to leave before the flood struck and the same thing happened to them 3 months earlier...
Hope lake Cameron is not getting any bigger.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]