• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Misery Down Under

Started by Mhayes, January 10, 2011, 08:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

It's really painful watching what is happening to our Aussie friends right now and wishing there was a way to help. What makes it hit home even more is that two of our own OPR members are seeing the action. Max is closer to the action, but Tess is also having some flooding. Here is a link that Tess sent me of Monday's action. The worst part is that this has been going on for some time and every day seems to get worse. It wasn't long ago that Australia was suffering through a drought--no longer.

OPR is limited on some of the help that we can provide, but should anyone down under need some help in organizing a photo rescue, contact me, Tess, or Max.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=howSp_RdRHE&feature=player_embedded

More images of the flooding:
http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS411US412&q=Flooding+in+Australia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=k5YrTdi8NcP7lwe_8a3VAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=12&ved=0CG8QsAQwCw&biw=1659&bih=798

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Thanks Margie. It's been a continuing disaster in the north of the country and Max is very close to it all. Hopefully he is ok.
At last count there are at least 75 people missing. One town has been almost wiped off the map downstream from Toowoomba.
We can only hope and pray the rain eases and all those missing are found safe.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Where are you Tess? Haven't seen any mention of Kogan where Max is. Not been there, Google shows a creek/river through the town so hope he is keeping dry

Just been watching the news, when places are getting 3ins of rain in an hour it isn't good.

The last big flood was in 1974 and river levels are expected to exceed that in a number of places over the next couple of days. Brisbane and Ipswitch seem to be next on the list

And in Western Australia they are fighting fires! Hell of a way to get a mention in the US news and thanks for the wishes Margie

Athol

Hannie

Tess is in North-West Victoria.
The last time I heard from Max (6 days ago) he was still above water, barely.
Athol, how is it in Sydney, lots of rain there?
I read that there are bush fires around Melbourne as well so they must not have too much rain down there.
I remember the drought in 1973, it seemed like the everything was cracked and then in 1974 nothing but rain and the Brisbane floods.

Margie, thanks for posting the link, it is heartbreaking to see people struggle to stay safe.  Like you said there has been already so much going on before the floods and now this.  So many people have lost everything and it will be very hard for them for a long time to come.  The farmers have lost their crops, again...

Wish there was something we could do to help. 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Athol we have moved over to the big island, Warracknabeal, Vic. Had 3.25 inches of rain on Sunday night here and its been raining on and off since then. Luckily we are a long way from any major river though the ground here is as flat as a pancake, no runoff.

Got an email back from Max, they are fine, a little soggy underfoot though. They haven't been able to get out to shop for a month but are well stocked up.

This is our roadway to the house now. We don't normally have lakeside views.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Hannie, we haven't had that much rain in Sydney. We are on a hill on the Northern Beaches so apart from being a bit soggy underfoot we don't have a problem. However the dog expects to go for a walk regardless of the weather. The current fires are in the South East of Western Australia, only a few weeks ago they were having floods further north

Glad you and Max are OK Tess. Waterlogged ground seems to be part of the problem in Queensland, any rain that falls now just runs off.

Sounds like there will be more to follow

Athol

Tess (Tassie D)

Yeah, we have just been put on a severe thunderstorm and torrential rain warning again. They are talking 8 or more inches over Thursday and Friday.

The dogs rule Athol, didn't you know. ;D Rain, hail or shine they love a walk.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Our thoughts and prayers are with you folks 'down under'. Keep in touch as we'll be worrying about you!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

marlene

I hope all of you will stay safe and get through this ...thoughts and prayers are with you all !

Pat

To all you wonderful people who are "down under" I wish you only the best and you are all

Comments - Graphics[/img]

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

david_gr

God bless all you Aussies and keep you safe.  :(

Charlene5

I've been watching the news and thinking of y'all and hope that my friends stay safe and dry. 

MJ xx
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Ausimax

We have been fortunate and escaped the worst of the flooding, the heaviest rain has been to the east of the river along the ranges, and the runoff from them has all swollen all the streams flowing into the river.

Our worst was on the 27.12.2010 though the creek has been up 6 times since then, the latest and highest yesterday, the problem is that the ground is so saturated now that if somebody spits we get a rise.

The flooding in the general area has been horrific inundating most of the towns along the river. We only get to see it on TV, we have been isolated for the last month, have not been able to resupply or receive mail, sure pays to have a well stocked pantry, we figure we can hold out for about another 4 weeks which is about how long it will be before we can get to town, if the rain holds off.

Not as lucky as far as prescription drugs go we are having to arrange an emergency supply today, they will be flown into a local Power Station in the next few days with a change of operational personell, trouble with getting old you are dependant on these things just to keep you ticking.

The flooding east of the range has been inconceivable, with the amount of damage and loss of life, 10 dead at present and expected to increase, with about 90 people unaccounted for, recovery is going to be a long and painfull process.

Tassie! Nice move, you are much closer to the water that you were in Tassie, hope you kept the surfboard. :funny:

This is a link to a few photos of the local scene.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ausimax/Flood201011?authkey=Gv1sRgCITPn-SazrvrbQ&feat=directlink

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tess (Tassie D)

Darn it Max, I forgot the surfboard. Could have used it today lol. They drained 60,000 litres or nearly 16,000 gallons of water out of our lake today at the front of the house and there's still 2/3 left. This is in preparation for tomorrows downpour we are supposed to get.

Wow your photos show how easily it creeps up. You were very lucky it didn't get into the house.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Max, thanks for the piccies.  It looks much worse than I thought it would be, seems like you could use a surfboard as well! 
That must be hard not being able to get mail, shop or even get your prescriptions!  Luckily you still have the Internet  ;)

Just heard that there is more bad weather coming for Victoria and Tasmania as well, Tess I keep my fingers crossed for you as well.

Stay safe!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]