• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Night Shot

Started by Alan_P, December 19, 2010, 06:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan_P

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for looking,

Alan

Tori803

Hi Alan,

The highlights look blown out to me. You can see more detail in the little girl's dress in the original.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

G3User

The car has lost detail too.

Good idea to always set your brightest point to less than 255, 250 will ensure that you always have a little headroom and not crush highlights. You can always adjust up after the repair is complete if necessary.
For similar reasons, setting black to 10-15 rather than 0 preserves detail in the shadows

Athol

lurch

I see distracting clone tracks in the lower left corner, plus uncorrected brown spots in the pavement, left side.
<C>

Alan_P

Hi Everyone,

Here is the latest revision. Thanks for the input.

Alan

Mhayes

Alan, I'm not seeing a photo at all and if I click on the X---it doesn't work either. You might want to enter the path again from PhotoBucket.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Alan_P

Hi Everyone,

Photobucket appears to be down. I will check back later.

Alan

Mhayes

Alan,

It finally showed up, not sure why it didn't before. Your latest version is way green, but when I go to PhotoShelter and download it's not that green. The reason I did that is when I downloaded your latest from the Forum; the size was 23867.638 x 34101.338 @ a resolution of 1. That made it impossible for me to do a comparison of the original at 3.5 x 7 @ 300 dpi to post. I reduced for the web for the comparison at 7.5 x 5 @ 120 dpi (72 being the norm).

I did an auto curves for the color correct and it looks fairly close to what I would expect. As others have mentioned, you have blown the highlights. This is especially noticeable on the "Big Head" and the car. I'm not sure if it is your settings or whether you are taking the white dropper in Curves and hitting where you think is white. This won't work. Plus, this is a terrible photo for detail since it is blurred and then to blow the highlights makes it worse. You are loosing detail in the top of the girl's dress and on the face of "Big Head." The problem now is that you probably can't undo this?

In the original you can see good color and tone on the face of BH. I would correct the damage white down the face. While I would have corrected the sky; it could stay with the color showing, but remove the green. The wall would look better to stay the way it is---some of the colors would be from light reflecting off the wall and people. That would save you some work and also would keep the wall's edge straight. While the car may not be important, it is better in the original than the way the highlights are blown out now. The pavement can be restored and watch out for cloning marks showing as mentioned.

It's hard to make some photo better, but this one I would try restoring the damage areas, but the others can stay the way they are.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Alan_P

Hi Everyone,

I redid this one useing the auto feature in curves.

Alan

Charlene5

Too pink?  This is what I got using a favorite plugin:

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Mhayes

MJ,

It's great to see you join in the fray.  :) I like yours and the girl's legs look more natural. However, I'm not sure whether it leans more to the green. When I downloaded Alan's version it is not as red as it shows on the forum. I'm not sure if the pink cast is from age, damage or both, or that is how the photo looked. I asked the owner to take a look, but he was on the way to the hospital as his daughter was giving birth. How's that for bad timing?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Alan_P

I tried Colorwasher on it and I think it looked too green. Here is a version with Coloorwasher with the opacity set to 50%.

Alan

kiska

Here's another version.

Made a cmyk copy, added a curves adjustment layer.Lowered the cyan and magenta.Upped the yellow.Flattened , copy/paste onto the rgb image. Set to color

Add empty layer, set to color.Paint at low opacity the trouble areas with a "good" color

Add a selective color layer. Lower the cyan and magenta more.

It'll take a little playing.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]