• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Feedback Appreciated

Started by cmpentecost, September 06, 2006, 01:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmpentecost

I have stared and worked on this photo until I'm cross-eyed, so I would appreciate feedback regarding if anything else needs repair or correction.  Thanks!

Christine

vhansen

The size is a bit too small to get a good look for critique purposes. 
At this scale it's looking good except for a couple of things.
The background.  It has a gradient look to it and does not look natural.  Also,the lighting is not the same as the original.  Because of these two issues, the images do not blend smoothly into the background (especially noticible along hair ) You really should keep the original background and repair it. 

The other thing is the boy's shirt.  Something about it doesn't look right.  It has a one dimentional look to it and there seems to be a loss of texure.  You might try layering this with the original to mix the good with the bad.
Vikki

cmpentecost

Thank you Vicki.  I know you are good at giving honest feedback, which I appreciate.  I agree on the shirt and background.  I think I'll take a breather from it today, and try to finish it up tomorrow.

Christine

glennab

Hi Christine

This looks like the little guy in the photo you were holding in the newspaper article.  And he's my concern.  It appears that in working on his face you've lost some of the shape of his nose and mouth.  His face doesn't look like the original to me. I'm wondering if it just needs a little more shading for shape.  I'd also try to tone down the glare on his face.

I don't know if you've tried this, but if you've cut the kids away from their background and want them to blend better ( this is if you're in Photoshop )  go to the bottom of the layers pull-down menu and select matting and give it a value of 1 pixel.  Many times that'll do the trick.  You can even try 2 px, but more than that will give you too soft an edge in most cases.

Rest those eyes!  I know that helps me when I get boggled.

Best wishes

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Thanks GG.  I will try the matting effect.  I'm not familiar with that, but will take a look.  As for the nose, that's pretty much untouched.  I do think I will work on his mouth a bit, as I think I darkened the shadow a bit to much between his lips.  But, as I said in the original message, I've looked at this photo so much, I've lost the ability to see what needs work, and what doesn't.

And yes, this is the same little boy that was in the photo from the newspaper.  I now have a picture to restore of him all grown up, with very major damage.  I do love these challenges!

Christine

Kenny

I think it needs a little work on the shading and the nose and mouth will be fine.

Matting, eh? I'll have to try that one, too. I usually select and feather, then invert selection and delete to smooth my edges. Usually about 1 or 2 px. I'll have to try out the new method.

See, I learn from this place at every turn  :up:

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?