• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Vertical line help

Started by gypsy72, April 09, 2010, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypsy72

i've got most of the restore done on this one, but i'm having trouble with a good way to get rid of the vertical lines without a lot of detail clone work.  Does anyone have any techniques for getting rid of these?

thanks!

glennab

Hi Gypsy

If you're talking about the fine lines mostly on the woman's clothing, I think the quickest way to eliminate them is to use the patch tool.  You can encircle one or several, depending on how much horizontal distance you have and move the patch tool to a clean area.  If you move the selected area carefully, you could include both the jeans and the shirt at the same time, because you can see where the colors are in the patch, and you can get most of the length at once.  That's the way I'd approach it. Keep your selection as close to the line as you can, and it works pretty well.  You can even do that with the little one's hair if you stay very close to the line when you patch it.

Good luck!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

lurch

Gypsy, here's another way. Duplicate the layer. On the duplicate, run the dust and scratches filter at radius 3, threshold 0, and add a hide-all layer mask (black) to that filtered layer. Since the scratches are straight - use a tiny white brush on the layer mask, click at the top of a line and shift-click on the bottom. Repeat until done. I did a few of the most prominent lines on your wip to illustrate. Took maybe ten minutes.

<C>

gypsy72

cool, i definitely try that!

Hannie

Lurch, thanks for the "shift-click on the bottom" reminder, I always forget to use it!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]