• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A baby

Started by paulus, March 28, 2010, 03:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulus

Again been working on this for two months ish and this is where I'm at.

What do people think?

Cheers
Paul

Tori803

What a tough restore! I don't know how much is possible to save. I think the background needs some texture so the baby doesn't pop out so much. Also,  there is a little bit of detail on the vest. It looks (maybe) like an argyle pattern, and there are two buttons that might be saved. Otherwise, it looks like a lot of painting (not my strong suit I'm afraid).
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4470378435_074241ac6d_o.jpg

Best wishes on this one.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

Hi Paul

I'm with Tori in that I think you should leave him in his background and just even out the cracked areas - blend everything into a more uniform texture with the healing or patch tool.  And keep him as soft as possible.  This is one that the more you bring out detail by darkening it, the more detail will be evidence of damage.  Very tough one, and you deserve a lot of credit for taking it on.  I'll look forward to seeing where you end up with him.

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Hi Paul,

You have picked a doozy and you are a hero for even trying to restore this one!  :up:

I agree with Tori and Glenna that it is probably better to leave the background in and go for a really high key result.  (less damage visible then)

The eyes of the baby you can emphasize and for the rest clean up as much as possible leaving it very light.

Just as an example to show you what I mean, I could have cleaned up some more of the damage but I would not remove all of the noise that is in the original, just enough to make the result passable.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Paul,

I think Hannie has done a great job on this and high key is works great in getting rid of the dark areas of damage. While we can't reclaim the original, this has a charming artistic look.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Hannie and Margie,
What do you mean by "high key"?
Thanks,
Mary

Hannie

Hi Mary,

The best way to show you is by looking at these high key images .

and here are low key images.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks Hannie,
I did a search online as well (which I probably should have done in the first place).
Very interesting technique.  As you can tell, I'm not a photographer. :)
Mary

paulus

My High key ish attempt

Not sharp enough do you think? - I've left in the white background for the moment

Cheers
Paul

paulus

Next version - with slight background and different eyes

Any better?

Cheers
Paul

Tori803

The mouth on the next to last one looks a little better. The background on the last one looks slightly purple to me -am I seeing things? For the background maybe just patch the big scratches and blur the rest a little? I hate to say anything since I wouldn't be the first to volunteer for this one!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

Paul, of all the iterations of this little one, I'd say that Hannie's very soft version is the direction I'd choose.  All the others look too harsh.  If I were going to restore this baby, I'd try to get somewhere near where Hannie took the image and then clean up the spots and cracks - and as Hannie did, not even try to get a true definition of the right side of his/her head as we look at the image.  There isn't enough there to get a true portrait, but there is enough to have a gentle impression of the baby's features, body and limbs, and I think that would be the more true restoration. IMHO.

Cheers

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)