• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What should that be I wonder

Started by Jonas.Wendorf, December 26, 2009, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas.Wendorf

Hey there and merry Christmas to all of you ☺

My latest restore once again forced me to paint some parts and once again I'm not quite sure if I'm going the right way with it.

Overall I like it so far but the older boy's left leg (is it even a leg?) looks so fake and I can't figure out how to do it better :-(. The baby's foot is something I possibly can clone and/or paint, but I'm not sure about its shape (maybe its going a little more to the right, maybe it's completely off?).

What do you think :-)?

Previous:
After:

Edit: I just thought that the part between the baby's legs could be as well a part of the older boy's leg. I'll try it!
Best regards,
Jonas

battleaxe

Hi Jonas,
  Merry Xmas !!  Hope you are enjoying yours.

Jonas I think that you have to go back to your color corrected image layer , if you have a background layer, duplicate background layer, levels or color correcting layer.  Do a shift, control, option E or the Mac equivalent to combine them on an separate layer.  Then go to  your channels, find the one that is the best.  Do a control A then control C after selecting the channel  in this case it is the blue channel. Click the RGB, then the layers tab.  Make a new layer, then Control V, set your layers blending mode to Luminosity.  Make an other new layer, set the blending mode to Color.  Then  using the eyedropper tool and a brush , sample the good portions then color the bad.   then make another layer to make your healing, and cloning repairs. 

There is another way by using calculations or channel mixer instead of what I am suggesting but I can't remember how. Then the repair work.

Have Fun  :hug:

Hannie

Hi Jonas,

Merry Christmas from Amsterdam as well!  I just saw that you edited your post that the part of the older girl's leg may show between the baby's legs.  I agree with that, in my image the yellow part I see as part of the big girl and the red is what I think the baby's foot looks like.

What jumped out at me first was that the baby looks a little rubbery to me, that is probably because you painted over to fix the damaged areas.  Some highlighting and shadows may help to make baby look less doll like?  (rounded parts light, creases and lower parts dark)

(I also think that the girls hair is more blond then reddish)

You have done a really good job cleaning up all that damage!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

battleaxe

Jonas
  Don't destroy what you have!!!  This will bring the texture and detail to the flooring.  Keep your other layers for lots of what you have done is good.

Mhayes

Hi Jonas,

I think you have done a great job on this one. I agree with what Hannie has said and would also add that on the girl's (or boy's) leg, you will have the knee where you see the leg curve in by the top of baby's feet. You have the knees under the baby's feet which is too far down. I originally thought that the girl should have shorts showing on the light part of the upper leg, but when I look in the channels it is bare leg.

Great job on a tough one!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

Maybe the legs are kinda like this?

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

I like Kiska's outline of what the leg might look like.
Battleaxe, I tried your method, the result is a very nice starting point for further repairs!
My image below shows the original on the left and Battleaxe's method on the right, before coloring and repairs.  There is definitely some improvement of detail.
(merging all visible layers without losing the underlying layers in Photoshop can be done by clicking shift+ctrl+alt+E)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

battleaxe

It was mentioned to me by glennab in my very early days on this site. Plus it is in photo restoration books. Which ones I can't remember.

Jonas.Wendorf

Finally another update ☺

In fact I used the channel mixer to get the most details out of the image at first although in the main time I refer to calculations (I used two channel mixers both set to "Luminosity"-mode. The first one on "Monochrome"-mode with the blue channel, the second one with the green channel. Both channels had very good and very bad areas so this was the fastest way to combine these.).

After that came quite a lot of painting on a blank layer set to "Color"-mode and than the restoration begun, so in fact we were using quite similar approaches, battleaxe :-).

Anyhow. I tried to correct the leg and foot, but I have to admit, I really s*ck at painting :-/ so any further tips would be highly appreciated!
Best regards,
Jonas

Mhayes

Hi Jonas,

This is coming along great. Yes, the baby's toes are a real bear to do, but you can copy and flip the other foot. Make a selection with the lasso and put on its own layer. Move that selection over in place with the other foot. Go up to Edit>Transform>Flip Horizontal. You will need to do some rotating into place and also some masking. To get the foot to look right, you will want to do some toning so that you have shading similar to the other foot.

You are improving on the one leg, but it still doesn't look right and I think it is because if is so thin and the kneecap down so low. In the original you can see how the baby's leg is bowed and how the girl's leg meets his.

The only other thing and this is minor and I could live with, but the door at the bottom should have the white going all the way down. What you see with the darker gray is where the damage.

Beautiful job so far!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jonas.Wendorf

Thanks for the great tip with the copied foot Margie :-) Sometimes life can be so much easier ;-)

But I was not all that sure, which door you meant, as I haven't seen any door (or at least I didn't notice it being a door ;-)) - so I just lightened the top portion a little and hoped for the best.

Best regards,
Jonas

Mhayes

Hi Jonas, looks great! I'm not sure it is a door, but it looks like one with blinds on it. The part I was looking at was the white by the girl's ear--like one little peak that extends from her ear over to the trim. This is a very minor pic.

Yes, it is so handy to be able to select, transform, and move body parts around!  ;D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

You're doing a great job on this one. :up: I think the area Margie is referring to is the dark bit where the arrows are? Looks like a water stain.

I had a play with the baby's foot except i took from the knee down to get the shadows as well. Mirrored it and then pushed the toes around a bit to make them look right for the angle.
I put a little more shape below the girl's left knee and rounded that calf a bit at the bottom.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Jonas.Wendorf

And yet another update :-)

I hope that's it for this one ;-)
Best regards,
Jonas

lurch

Jonas, everything looks marvelous, except for those red and blue spots :(

<C>