• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hitler's Art Book

Started by Candice, December 09, 2009, 05:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

By JAMIE STENGLE,
Associated Press Writer Jamie Stengle

DALLAS – After fighting his way across Europe during World War II, John Pistone was among the U.S. soldiers who entered Adolf Hitler's home nestled in the Bavarian Alps as the war came to a close.

Making his way through the Berghof, Hitler's home near Berchtesgaden, Germany, Pistone noticed a table with shelves underneath. Exhilarated by the certainty of victory over the Nazis, Pistone took an album filled with photographs of paintings as a souvenir.

"It was really a great feeling to be there and we knew, by that time, he was on his last leg," Pistone told The Associated Press.

Sixty-four years after Pistone brought the album home to Ohio, the 87-year-old has learned its full significance: It's part of a series compiled for Hitler featuring art he wanted for his "Fuhrermuseum," a planned museum in Linz, Austria, Hitler's hometown...

For the rest of the story go to: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_hitler_s_album
---------------
Another interesting link: http://www.monumentsmenfoundation.org/

We do not deal with art but we most assuredly deal with heritage lost. I thought you might all find this interesting.
Candice

Hannie

Candy,  I knew that Hitler had a list of what art he wanted to confiscate but I didn't know there were 31 albums with photographs of everything, that was an interesting chunk of history.

(I went to Berchtesgaden in my teen years, it is a breathtakingly beautiful place place, the Sound of Music was filmed there.  Even with all the beauty surrounding me I had mixed feelings about being there.)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Candy, thanks for sharing. I thought the slide show on the 2nd link said it all!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

You're welcome. I thought all would appreciate a bit of history. 
Candice