• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Texture

Started by Jonas.Wendorf, November 29, 2009, 09:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas.Wendorf

Hello everybody ;-),

my latest restore, took some time to get rid of the texture, the rest was quite easy.

Tell me what you think about it :-)

Previous:
After:

Greetings
Jonas
Best regards,
Jonas

glennab

Hi Jonas

I think he looks great.  How in the world did you eliminate all the spots?

I have several observations and questions.  Are the spots on his neck and face damage?  I'm thinking that since you left them, they may not be, but just wanted to inquire.  Also, I think the light area at the bottom is damage.  It seems to me that the way he's sitting would make that area the chair, his lap and legs, and they would all be dark.

The only other thing that bothers me a bit is the chair.  I think I'd try to pull a more succinct edge out of the blur because the curves are so interesting.

I'm glad you grabbed this guy before I had a lapse and claimed him!  You did a fine job.

Cheers

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Great job. :up: I want to know how you got rid of all those spots too.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Jonas,

Great job removing all those spots.   :wnw:

Would you consider my interpretation of his left forearm?

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Jonas.Wendorf

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Getting rid of the spots was something that took me about 10 layers or so. Many times I used the Ximagic Denoiser (http://www.ximagic.com/index.html) and the "Gaussian Blur"-, as well as the "Median"-filter. I brought back the sharpness with the use of an "Unsharp Mask" with low amount and high radius, the rest was painting by hand on a Soft Light-layer to bring back the contrast edges that make the "sharp" effect.
Guess I tried about 20 other ways before but that was the only thing that really worked as I wanted :-) (I even feared I had to remove every spot using dodge & burn after a while ^^).

As far as I thought the brown spots could be moles because they weren't appering anywhere else and there was no dust or anything else around them so I left them in.
I removed the bright spot on the chair and tried to make it look a bit sharper, is that about what you had in mind?

schen, the forearm looks great :-) I changed my version to fit yours!

Update:
Best regards,
Jonas

glennab

Hi Jonas

Here's more what I was envisioning.  If he's straddling the chair, I'd think the uprights would show all the way down, and then what you'd see is his lap and legs.  I tried to discern what might be a table with a reflection to explain the light area, but that didn't seem logical to me.  What I did was use the pen tool to outline the chair, make a new layer, create a selection from the path I created with the pen tool, then on the second layer I contracted the selection by 2 px, feathered it by 3px, sampled a medium brown from the chair and stroked the path.  I then filled the path with the clouds filter and samples of 2 shades of brown from the chair.  Looks awful and flat.  But if you take the opacity down below 50%, the shades of the chair start to show, and you have a cleaner edge.  I did a down and dirty clone of his pants and got a general idea of what I think we should see - a bit more polished, of course.

Here's the result with my usual disclaimer that I'm doing this at work, so it's a rush job.  I'd definitely refine it:

I'm still amazed at the job you did getting rid of the spots.  That's awesome!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Jonas.Wendorf

I'm sorry for the late update, at the moment my school is killing me with tons of class tests ;-)

Anyhow, I tried to follow your advice, glennab, and tried to make what I thought was a chair look like pants.

Not completely satisfied with the results, but maybe one of you could once again give me a hint on what to further improve :-)

Best regards,
Jonas

Mhayes

Jonas,

What a beautiful job you have done on this one! I think the one GK posted before yours comes closer to being what you want. Yours looks like his leg is across the chair which I don't think it is. Most likely he is straddling the chair and only a small portion of the seat would show. What will help is leave it darker at the bottom like GK's. Or you could shade in the middle to show the definition of both legs. I would make the lighter parts of his jeans a little darker also. You might try sitting on a chair like he is doing to give you a more visual idea.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jonas.Wendorf

One more :-)

Update:

I tried to darken the jeans and bring in some shading to make it look like two legs.
Just as every time, critics are appreciated :-)
Best regards,
Jonas

Hannie

Hi Jonas :-)

It is amazing how well this restore is coming along, you've done a great job!
What if you make the lower area even darker, like this?  (don't mind the sloppy job)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

I've enjoyed watching the changed and progressions with this one.
Candice

Jonas.Wendorf

If dark pants are what you want, I'll make them darker Hannie ☺ ;-)

Is that better?

Edit: Duh, wrong picture.

Edit #2: Uploaded it :-) thanks again for the great help and feedback!
Best regards,
Jonas