• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What's my goal?

Started by MichiganRob, November 02, 2009, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichiganRob

Hi ya guys and gals

This is my current project from Hannie's gallery...As I was working on this restore I began to ask myself what am I trying to accomplish with this restore.  I think I am trying to repair as much damage as possible and return a photo that will be able to be put back into the family album for posterity.  So, that being said do I spend too much time trying to fix? things I can't do anything about?

The issue for this thread is the gentleman on the right closest to the camera.  There is significant damage to his suit.  The lower part of his tie is completely gone and the tie would overlap the edge of his jacket which is open, there is no difference between the color of his suit and the color of the suit being worn by the gentleman to his right.  All we are left with is a pitch black soup with one little sliver of a white shirt below the plaque he is presenting,

My strategy was to repair the damage as best I could and try to create some small distinction between where one suit ends and the other begins.  It is no secret and no deception in the fact that areas of the suit had to be "painted in" as there is no other way to restore that which is no longer there.

So, finally, here's the question...If I magnify the image I can clearly tell that the suit has been "painted in", whereas if I view the image at "print size" it is less evident.  Is this my goal?

Here is where I am at now...I still have work to do on this image, but for the purposes of this discussion I would just like to ask your opinions on the one suit.

Thank you
MichiganRob

Click on the image for a larger size with more detail

kiska

Hi MichiganRob. Good job. I think the sleeve needs a little rework. A jacket sleeve wouldn't be that tight and you can see a little of the lining inside it.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Hi Rob,

You have come a long way already with this restore! 
I like Kiska suggestion for the jacket sleeve.  Maybe making the suit just a shade darker, or darker towards the part where his suit meets the other gent's suit?

:up2:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

MichiganRob

Dang, I need some new eyes :wow:, you are right, I'll fix that sleeve,  Thank you Kiska, and I'll darken it some Hannie.

Be talkin' to ya' all

Thanx
MichiganRob

MichiganRob

Okay gang, I think I'm just about finished with this one...last minute suggestions, anyone?

For anyone who's interested to fix the two large stains on the boys shirt I used the magnetic lasso tool to select the stained area and did a levels adjustment to the stains to equalize the colors.  The magnetic lasso tool did a real fine job of sticking to edge of that stain, then I did a bit of touch up of some minor artifacting on the edge line with the healing brush tool.

Thanx for all the help

MichiganRob

Johnboy

Rob you have come a long way. It is looking good. One the screen the man's coat in the middle looks blotchy to me where it looks even toned in the earlier posts. It may be part of the damage in that area. Also there is a shadow by his shirt color but it looks to be part of his coat now.

Johnboy