• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First OPR Restoration - Feedback Required

Started by danielmeadows, September 15, 2009, 11:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielmeadows

Hi guys, this is my first post here and my first restoration for OPR.

I must admit to having never dealt with such a washed out image, there's very little information left in any of the channels here. I figured before I submitted, I could certainly benefit from a few fresh pairs of eyes.

There was little left in way of sky, is the addition of cloud acceptable?

Danny
~Daniel Meadows
- Retouching Website

Mhayes

Hi Danny, welcome to the forum! You have done a great job on your first restore. All of the photos in our galleries that have the GHF prefix are from the Galveston Historical Foundation and are very old. We want all of these to be kept as close to the original detail. Because of that, do not add in the clouds. Yes, it makes the photo look better, but it's not like the original. As old as this photo is, most likely the sky was a light gray. Change back to the original sky and try to lighten up the area around the ship in the middle. Even with a washed out sky, this is a big improvement!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

danielmeadows

Hi Margie, thanks for your response. Is this any better? My concern is that although I've knocked out the additional cloud, there remains a lighter 'clouding' that is probably more a product of the clone stamp than the histogram, it's predominantly cloud formations of damage. I could always remove the gradiated sky and replace the noise, but I think as the cloud patterning generally follows the gradiation of the submitted original, all that would do is take the photograph further from it's probable original state.

I think we're getting there :up:
~Daniel Meadows
- Retouching Website

Mhayes

Daniel, you are in the home stretch and this looks good! The only thing I think would look better is to lighten from the water by the  tug boat up to the sky. It catches the eye to see the dark streak in the middle. A quick and easy fix would be to duplicate your background, go up to layer and pick Layer>New. In the next window, change mode to Overlay and checked the box to "Fill with Overlay=neutral color (50% gray). Pick a soft brush and make sure that your foreground is white (lighten and black to darken). I changed the opacity of the brush to 25% and brushed over the section that I thought was too dark. See what you think.

Other than that you are good to go--nice job!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

danielmeadows

Thanks Margie, what a fantastic little trick  :up:

What do we reckon?
~Daniel Meadows
- Retouching Website

Hannie

Margie, thanks for posting that dodge/burn method again, it is such a timesaver but I keep forgetting to use it.  I used it immediately a couple of times so maybe it will stick in my old brain this time!
(one can always hope!)

Fine restore Danny!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Danny, it looks great! It is such a neat trick, because if you go too far you can always undo and you are working on a separate layer rather than the original.

Hannie, I know the feeling that if I don't use something very often I forget the steps.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

danielmeadows

Uploaded and accepted, thanks for the feedback guys. I'll probably dive into another this evening :up:
~Daniel Meadows
- Retouching Website

Atlantis

Once upon a time I decided to create an action for the non-destructive dodge&burn layer. It's such a timesaver! Actually I set the 50% neutral gray layer to soft light, I guess that is a matter of taste.
Oh and most of the time I set the brush to a much lower opacity, around 15, and gradually built up either the dodge or the burn. And most of the times I use one for dodging and another for burning.
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

Atlantis, I tired both modes on this image, overlay and soft light.  Soft light was a little easier to work with, less streaky, thanks for the tip.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]