• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Skin Color

Started by G3User, August 24, 2009, 04:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G3User

Still lots to do to this one but every  time I open it up I end up fiddling with the skin tones. Not very productive :-X

Not sure how but the red channel is clipped and with the faces nearing overexposure it is proving to be a bit of a handful. Tried curves in both RGB and CMYK without coming up with a result I am happy with. Even converted to B&W and tried recoloring, the example I found made it look easy but I suspect that it works better on high rather than low contrast images

My only other question is what the shirt on the RH chap might be? Best I can tell it is a white t shirt with a high, rather than a v neck

GRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr

Athol

Hannie

I don't have the time to try it myself but I think that there is no yellow at all in the reds, you could try and add some in a Selective Color Adjustment layer?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks Hannie,

Thought you were supposed to be on holidays???

Have just found the following on the DPR site and it seems to work well. Will post again after a more serious look at the results. By the way, just received a bottle of La Trappe Quadrupel to try. 10%, now I know what keeps you warm in winter. :wow:

The method
"I used a technique from Lee Varis's book Skin. Add a Hue/Sat adjustment layer, choose Red from the drop down list, click on the (+) eyedropper and select the reddest part of what you want to remove. Then click on the (-) eyedropper and select and area with good skin tone. Move the Hue slider all the way to the left and the skin areas will turn a cyan/blue color. At the bottom of the Hue/Sat dialog box is a horizontal color bar (?) that shows the colors you have selected. There are two half-triangles that you can move. Move one side and see if the blue areas change, if not hit Ctrl+Z and move the other triangle to fine tune the blue areas to select just the red areas you want to affect. When done with that, move the Hue slider back to 0. Then begin to move it above 0 until the red begins to disappear. You may also need to adjust the other sliders also. I used it on JJ's other picture as an example. Also, you can paint on the mask to return red to areas you want, lips for example"

Athol

Hannie

Yes La trappe Quadrupel, bitter sweet and icy cold!  Enjoy!

I am leaving in an hour so I'm taking a final look at things before we go.  We'll be travelling by car and don't want to be in the middle of a traffic jam.  Halfway between Lille and Paris we will spend the night in  a hotel and then it is on to the Dordogne.

Will read the "method" when I get back, looks interesting, thanks for posting!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Still to make the hand color match, tidy up and add some shading to the RH shirt.

I have just about worn out everything in Photoshop playing with the face color, this looks the most natural to me.

Comments please

Athol

Hannie

Hi Athol,

Pins were all sold out were they?  ;)
I think you got pretty close the best you can get, the color in this photo is a horror to correct!

See if you like what I added:

selective color adjustment layer with in the reds
cyan +75
magenta -7
yellow +14
black +47

Hue/saturation adjustment layer lessen the the yellow saturation a little.

Christine's average blur
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1592.msg16775.html#msg16775
opacity 50%

Bring out the eyes, nose and lips some with a 5% midtone blur (very little)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Good suggestion Hannie, I needed a push. I had been looking at a number of versions each day but your suggestion resulted in a more realistic skin tone.

I had tried using the average blur method you mentioned as well but I think I had so many versions using so many methods I was bound to come to grief

Therefore on this auspicious occasion ( I have sent it back ) I am pleased to award you immunity from you know what for the next month. If you keep up the good work you may receive further encouraging rewards  ^-^

Athol

By the way, the beer went down well at the father's day BBQ at the weekend

A

Hannie

Athol, I forgot that Father's day in Aussieland is in September!  Hope you are not seeing all the rain that Tassie has.  One of my daughters is going to Australia next month for 3 weeks to visit her place of birth, it better not rain then!

Thanks on behalf of everyone here that you will not resort to your voodoo practices anymore, even if it is only for a month! 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

What part of Australia is your daughter going to?

Athol

Hannie

From Sydney they are planning to go down to Melbourne and Tasmania, I'm not sure if they will be travelling to other places as well or if they will have time to see much else.  They are only going to be there for 3 weeks or so!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]