• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Does it look like him? Help!!

Started by battleaxe, August 18, 2009, 11:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

battleaxe

I'm not sure it looks like him.   I need his eyes back but don't have the skill to do that. Think the shadowing for the face is wrong too.....he looks older doesn't he.   need suggestions on how  to fix his face.  It looks like a painting but there is no smudging in this, just colored layers.   I'll retry with your suggestions.

Thanks  :hug: :-*

philbach

I don't know if this can be restored properly since there is so much initial damage.  Looking at the original it appears that the subjects left cheek migrated upward secondary to the flooding or whatever.  Looking at the individual channels it seems that the Magenta channel in CYMK mode had the best luminosity detail but that still is not enough.  Currently there are several problems with symmetry of his chin and eyes.   This one may be to far gone to attempt to fix.  Well best of luck.
phil

glennab

Hi BA

He's definitely a doozie, but I think you can get a clearer version of him by color correcting using levels (on this particular image, the curves didn't work as well).  Then use your patch tool and pull very very small clear contiguous areas from around his face, especially if they're close in shading (there are plenty, even though the overall photo is a mess!). I'm redoing an "impossible" right now with a nearly obliterated face, and I started (for the 3rd time) by cloning critical areas (eyes and mouth and shading) and using the patch tool to smooth as much as I could.  It's not perfect by any stretch, but I got more than I thought I would by thinking VERY SMALL.  I'm also trying working my image at 200% and then reducing it back down to see if that makes a difference.  (Will have to let you know on that, since I have a few more days' work yet.)  Good luck!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Battleaxe, you are so brave for taking this photo.  The damage is terrible and you have cleaned up a lot of it!  I also like your levels correction, nice colors!

I agree with Glenna approach, it would be great if you could save the background in the same way.  It is a lot of work, and the result may not be fit for a mantlepiece but it will be closest to what the boy looked like as possible. 

I gave it a try and was surprised how much detail can be cloned back in his face (very sloppy but in a hurry) and the background actually only took a few minutes.  (I mainly used the healing brush, only at the edges I used a low opacity cloning tool)

Hope this helps,

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

battleaxe

I cloned and healed very small bits.  I took parts of all the  good in the channels I could find . made a black and white pic.....tried to recolor.  Will take your advice and try more patience.  I will clone and patch smaller and stay in color this time..

thanks   luv ya  :hug: :-*

battleaxe

k

Questions: Is his hair and face okay?   Can I crop the damage portion on the bottom off, the portion from the top of the design on the left sleeve?

Hannie

Still battling on with this doozie, I think what you've done so far looks better then your first version.  You need to use the healing brush (not spot healing) and try make one shade flow into  the next a little more, not quite sure how to say that.  I have placed yellow dots in some of the places where it needs to be done. 

I think that with  a little patience and lots of time, you can pull it off!  Try to keep comparing to the original for shading and shapes etc.

One more thing and then I'll shut up, I tried to make the left (our left) side of his chin just a tiny bit shorter so it doesn't look so lopsided.

Thanks for not giving up!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Lurch,

You have your work cut out for you on this one. I agree with Hannie especially about what she was saying about one shade flowing into the next. Sometimes it helps to look at photos that are in good shape--that rules out ours--and notices how the shadows fall on a person's face. On your left, you will see more shadow on far side of his face, under the chin and nose. I'm not sure how you are repairing, but it looks sort of like a water or oil painting effect. Are you sampling and then painting? Some of the lighter shading that Hannie has marked makes it look like he has ridges. As to cropping, I'm not sure if this is an 8 x 10 in which case it might be best to keep it at that. Once you get done with his face, maybe try using the random pattern on the top part on the shirt--hope that works.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

battleaxe

Tess,
  I'm having problems with this one.     :'(   This one is yours again.  Sorry I bit off more than I could chew.  Do you want this version uploaded to you or no.....  I will still play with it but it will take me forever to complete it right.   again sorry

Tess (Tassie D)

You have done a wonderful job bringing this boys face back. :up: Yes please upload this version and thanks so much for working so hard on it.
I have no idea what we will do with the shirt though. Any patchwork quilters out there?
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]