• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What does it need?

Started by Ausimax, August 13, 2009, 03:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tess (Tassie D)

Max you've done great with this one. I'd burn a bit of a line to show the peak? (I think thats what you call them) on the baseball cap.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Max, this is awesome.  I looked at the original in the galleries and couldn't figure out what it was!

I only have a couple of picks.  I think his cap should be fuller and rounder.  His head looks just a bit small and misshapen.

This is more of a question, because I can't really tell.  Do you think there'd actually be a difference in color of the blue stripe as you have it in your restoration?  I can't think of an instance in which that might happen.  I'd make the color consistent.

The only other observation I have is that I think his arms could be heavier.  They seem thinner in your rendition than they are in the original.

You're doing incredible work, as usual.  All these years of upside-down restoration is showing!  I don't know how the heck you do it!  You're the best. 

Hugs,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

lurch

Hi Max,

What a monster this one was! You've done a great job so far. My observations:

Overall, the guy looks too skinny, somehow. I agree with GK about the arms. And the baseball cap seems somehow misshapen. I've taken the liberty of outlining (sort of) what I see as the arm shape and the cap shape (imagination at work there) from the magenta channel. I also think the chair he's sitting sideways on is upholstered; the apparent metal frame is damage.

I have two Papasaviolou photos myself - they are indeed a challenge!
<C>

Ausimax

Tess, GK & Lurch,

Thanks for your ideas - re the cap - I wasn't seeing it as a baseball cap with a skip, more like a Ski cap, because the crown is so high.

You were right the arms needed a bit more meat on them.

This is the blended B/W it was restored from.

This is the reworked version, though the crown still looks to high for a baseball cap.

I thought the high crown may have been from shadow on the curtains, but it is lit from the wrong direction for there to be a shadow there, maybe it is just bleed from the dyes?
In any case I think it needs more off the top, like Lurch has noted.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Ausimax

Version  2.5.003.12

Changes to cap and colour of stripes on the shirt, didn't know what to make of them - were they blue, and bled out  - or had the blue bled in? Comments.   

Max 

schen

Max, nice work.  When you change it to a cap (which I agree), he may need a larger size?  The dark patch on the left chest may have been damage.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6