• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Opinions

Started by lurch, July 28, 2009, 11:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurch

Please!

I have a couple of questions on this restoration. All other random opinions and observations are also welcome.

Consistent with my usual lazy approach I've fixed what I could make out and finessed what I couldn't. Already made the command decision to remove the tv (or whatever it was) behind the younger fellow's right shoulder. Couldn't find enough detail to restore it properly. My questions: 1) is the white vase thingy with candles(?) between the bricks and the drapery distracting enough to remove? and 2) is darkening the edges to cover up I know not what an acceptable thing to do?

I have determined that the thing in the viewer-left bottom corner is real, whatever it is. I call it the cloth thing.

original (duh!)

wip

<C>

Mhayes

What a great job you did with a real mess! The thing at the bottom looks like either a cloth or upholstery? Whatever it is, I think it works fine as you have it. It looks like maybe a clock mounted on the wall (see round area) between the guy in suspenders and the one on your right.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

Margie, it is a clock, sitting on a shelf that may or may not be a mantelpiece.
<C>

Ausimax

Hi Lurch,

You have done a great job on this image, I think the Clock? is wall mounted, though I think the detail you have is suitable vague where the original is doubtfull - you have recovered the people and that is probably the most important detail in any restoration. Great Job.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

lurch

Just for grins I thought I'd show you all the carefully - well, mostly carefully - restored version before I darkened much of my detailed efforts to oblivion. So you don't think I'm a complete slacker. This will also show that the darkening (dare I say vignetting?) is adjustable to taste, in case the eagle-eye crew's taste is different from mine. I was actually sort of fond of that wood-paneled wall. 'Twas a shame to obliterate it.

<C>