• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Heavily damaged old picture?/drawing?

Started by schen, July 19, 2009, 07:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schen

Somehow I felt an urge to leave some damages behind.  Let me know how you like it.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

G3User

lurch

I like the ratty edges. I'd also do a version with the edges fixed and let the owner choose.
<C>

Mhayes

I have mixed feelings on this one. While I think it looks neat from an artistic standpoint; I'm not sure how the owner will feel about it. This isn't like an old photo that you restore by correcting the color, but one that was a damaged by the flooding of Ike. The owner, an older lady, was a victim first of Hurricane Katrina and then by Hurricane Ike when she moved to Galveston. I can't help but wonder if the torn edges will be a bitter reminder of what she has lost. What you see behind the torn edges is our black poster board. I have nothing against doing it both ways.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

hoodman3

Schen,

In my opinion the ratty edges should be repaired. Also it seems that on his left side there is quite a sharp line between the coat and the background. On his right, it fades between the two. The fade looks better to me.

Good Luck,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

cmpentecost

I recently restored a 100 year old photo for a non-OPR person, in which the photo was very similar to this.  While I maintained most of the integrity of the original photo, I did brighten/sharpen/add contrast to it, as well as repair the edges.  He loved it.  What was interesting is that while his daughter also loved the photo, she wanted to see it as close to the original photo, by way of colors, than the adjusted version I had done.  She just wanted the stains and broken pieces removed, as she wanted the photo to look "old".  So....perhaps doing both versions for this photo owner would be the way to go...?

C

schen

Thanks for all the inputs.  I usually repair the edges but for some reason, I had a strong feeling to keep this one.  Maybe it was the phase of the moon.

Pete, the sharp line on his left was caused by the rip of the paper.  I believe in the original it looked like the right.  When I fix the edge, I will bring down the left side of the jacket and fade it.

Chris, you brought up a good point as what "restoration" supposed to be.  We all have different ideas.  Mine changes according to my feeling of the picture.
Shujen Chen

schen

Shujen Chen

Mhayes

Shujen, I like this one best!  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

This is the version I'd pick if it were mine.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

hoodman3

Windows XP, CS3