• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Wedding pic, Part 1

Started by Johnboy, June 28, 2009, 09:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

If this photo looks familiar you have just passed the test. This one along with another one of the same couple was posted many weeks ago. What I thought would be an easy copy and patch with parts from the other photo wasn't quite so. You know one of those weekend projects that is projected to take a couple of hours but somehow takes on a life of its own.

I was able to borrow some parts namely part of the carpet and some areas of the bride's dress. There was what appeared to be mold damage hidden on the tux so I spotted my brains out but there was still damage showing. So I made several areas of the tux selections and then applied a levels adjustment layer and moved the black point, and was able to get rid of the remaining mold. (Which made me wonder if I had done that sooner I may still have some brains.)

Anyway it is time for the critical test. The eyes of the forum to point out what I missed and what needs improvement. This is an 8x10 photo and I am giving it at full res. I thought it might make inspection easier, and easier for helpful play if needed. Sorry in advance to you on dial up and satellite if this loads slow.

Original

Restore

My main concern is that the wall may print uneven. When I enlarge it to 100% the wall looks mottled. I owe a big thank you to Gerlinde for her question on how to get the stain out of the white tux. Marge, your reply with some modification really helped to even out the wall. I achieved a whiter wall with easier to fix areas. I had a lot of painting to do to get the happy couple from under the haze but it was worth the time.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Johnboy, I think you did a great job on this one! The only thing that you might want to correct is the light spot on the lower LH side of the wall and mantle along the floor. That is a very minor pic.  This is a tricky one to tell what is actually light in tone or the result of reflection.

Margie

P.S. Another volunteer tricked into thinking a photo looked easy: Well done Distributors!  :funny:
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Great job Johnboy!
I agree with Margie on the light spot.  When you take a look at full res there are a few lighter areas as well near the edges of the photo (wall area).  You could darken them as well to make the wall seem less blotchy.

It will be a large print so if you are worried about the texture of the walls you could use a filter like noise, median or even the Kodak Digital Gem.  With a hide all layer mask you can paint back any area of the wall that needs smoothing out.  (Experiment with the opacity of the brush)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Thanks Marge and Hannie for the comments. The area at the lower right didn't have much information in it. That was one area I was hoping to copy from the other photo but I thought there was too much color difference. I ended up doing a copy and paste in that area to get a little detail from what was there. I'll work on the areas you have pointed out.

Marge, I though you were a friend. Statements like that can come back to haunt.  >:D

Johnboy

Mhayes

Johnboy, trust me, I am your friend!  Others feel as you do and it seems my in basket is full of threatening emails. I believe to grow, one must be challenged!  <trying to say this with a straight face>

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

QuoteJohnboy, trust me, I am your friend!  Others feel as you do and it seems my in basket is full of threatening emails. I believe to grow, one must be challenged!  <trying to say this with a straight face>

OK. (And the title to which bridge should I expect in the mail?)   :loveit:

Johnboy

Johnboy

It has been a while but I have been working on this in the background literally the background. I worked on the areas mentioned in the last post of this photo, but that wall just bugged me. So I started one night with the Patch Tool working on the wall. I like it much better. When enlarged at 100% the appearance reminded me of parchment paper. Did a Median noise at 3 followed by a Hide All layer mask. Then painted in to reveal the couple, flowers and greens on the mantle, the pew end, and the candelabra.

So opinions please. This one may be close to going home. However, I still need to do more work on the mate to this photo.

Johnboy

lurch

Beeyootiful job, Johnboy. Can't find a thing amiss!
<C>

Mhayes

Johnboy, it looks great!  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Johnboy, so glad you didn't find that bridge because this restore looks great!

:wnw:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Thanks y'all. As always there is something new learned on each one. Now on to the partner photo.

Hannie, You mentioned earlier about the Kodak Digital Gem to help give texture to the wall. Can you tell me more about it? Thanks.

Johnboy

Hannie

Did I mention Kodak Digital Gem before?  What must I have been thinking, that was really, really stupid of me!

Just kidding Johnboy!  These filters are very destructive and really shouldn't be used at all in what we do, the same goes for Neat Image, Noisebuster, Spotsbegone or whatever they are called.  They can sometimes help out a little but always at the expensive of image detail.

Depending on what the damage is, I sometimes use a 1 or 2 % median blur on parts of an image but even that is not the best solution.

I hope I thoroughly discouraged you (and everyone else) from ever using these filters for the kind of photo restoring that we do!   >:D

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Thanks Hannie. And you would think with the Kodak name on it, it would be photo friendlier.

Johnboy