• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Max's Difficult Restoration

Started by Ausimax, August 09, 2006, 07:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Hi,

This is my first attempt, I would appreciate your comments and advice.

The face of the Mother and the daughter on the right (your right) don't look as bad as that in the high res image, I would have liked to reduce the shine on their foreheads, but nothing I tried ended up looking natural, any advice here would be helpful.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Kenny

Max, it looks good  :up:

The only nitpicks I have is the girl on the right's hair looks a bit faded. You might try the burn tool and lightly darken it to see how it looks. Also, there are a couple of places on the curtains on the right that look like they could use a little touchup. Overall, though, it's a great restroration!  :up:

Kenny

Ps. I''ll post this to show you what I mean:

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

Thanks Kenny,

I'll have a go at those spots, its good to get another view on it, after you have been working on it for a while you start to loose perspective, and see spots before your eyes. :D

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

glennab

Hi Max

Nice job!  What a challenge.

I wanted to suggest that the lighter areas on the women's foreheads that concern you could be adjusted by making a selection around the light areas, give it a good feather (I'd probably do 5-8px) and then experiment with your levels to see if you can get the contrast down a little.  that might also work on the areas of the drapes that are less intense in color than the rest.  It's trial & error with the feathering and levels but sometimes it takes care of the issue.

I just had to do that sort of adjustment on the face of a person on one of our publication covers, so I know it can work. Good luck!

Best wishes from Florida

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Kenny,

You were right about the hair, I was so engrossed in other areas I had completely missed it! Did some work on the drapes - the light spots near the bottom were OK, The area higher up you had circled, I decided to leave alone, I had done considerable work on that area to get it that good everything else I tried only seemed to make it worse.

glennab,

Tried what you suggested on the foreheads, hope it made it better, tried your idea for the drapes, managed to get the colours a little closer, levels didn't work to well, did a little better with Colour Balance.
Generally I now seem to be at the stage of "Wish-full Tinkering" trying to improve something and only making it worse, so unless you have further suggestions, this is probably the image I will go with.

To that end, what is the protocol for file names for uploading? If I upload with the original file name will it overwrite the original file in the gallery? Or do I just append Restored or something similar to the file name?

Thanks for all your help.

max

glennab

Hi again Max

I think I'd still try to even the color on the drapes on the right.  There's a large area that looks somewhat faded.  Otherwise it looks great.

I happen to be more comfortable with levels, but there are so many other color controls in Photoshop that I'm glad you found another method that suited you for adjusting the forehead.  It definitely looks better.

Somewhere in the forum I read that all you need to do before you upload the finished restoration is to add the word Done after the name of the file before you submit it.  That way admin will know you're finished with it.

Have a wonderful day!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)