• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Little help with this problem child please....

Started by GP, June 14, 2009, 04:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GP

This is a 8 x 10 portrait. As you probably guess already, the lower part of the image is my nail biter this time.

There is nothing left in any of the channels. Cropping is not an option, the picture is not very sharp to begin with. Keeping the 8x10 format would blow it up even more and make it more fuzzy.

The way I see it, I have to find a way to recreate the bottom part. Any help would be great. Maybe someone has a picture with a child in a similar pose that I could use as a guide.

This is what I think it looked like

PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

lurch

GP, I feel for your predicament! Your sketch looks fine, except the stool might be a little low. How about using just a plain box instead. It can extend to the bottom of the frame and therefore look of indeterminate height. And you can then let his leg extend straight down.
<C>

kiska

Don't forget to do a levels adjustment first. The stool. box, whatever is gone. Maybe crop to the same dimensions? This IS a quickie.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

GP

Thank you guys, I will try your suggestions. Kiska your cropped version does not look to bad after all. I guess I was to close to the picture as I tried the cropping. :D
I will be back....  :funny:

Gerlinde

GP

So this is my final version of this little guy. I cropped off some of the damage as suggested. Any picks?

Hannie

Gerlinde, what a beautiful restore, the crop looks great too!  :up2:
Maybe a very small levels adjustment, on the other hand the yellowish tint looks kind of pretty as well.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

GP

Thanks Hannie!

I like your levels adjustment too. Could you make a screen shot and post your levels adjustment for me?

I will also try a filter tonight and see if I can counter the yellow a bit. Kiska's colors look kind of nice too.

Maybe something in between would be nice. I will see what I can do.

BTW Hannie, I made progress on Salvador Dali too.   ;)  ;D

Gerlinde

Hannie

Gelinde, I can't wait to see Salvador Dali, hope you are having fun!

I only used the slide on the R,G and B channels in levels just far enough to barely touch the sides where the graph begins.
I also used a little curves adjustment, hope the picture will show what I did there.
Kiska's colors look better than mine, a little warmer I think.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Sometimes when the color is slightly leaning one way or the other I use a curves adjustment. Click the mid gray dropper and experiment around your image. His skin is still a little too yellow but warmer. You could add a second curves to pump up the red a bit  and take out a smidge of blue, hide all mask and gradually paint back his skin. I THINK that's what I did previously.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

GP

Thank you both so much for the screen shots.   :loveit:

This will be a big help, can't wait to get home to finish the little guy.

Gerlinde

Mhayes

Gerlinde, this is really coming together great!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

GP

This is the one I'm sending home. I hope you like it. Thank you again, Hannie and Kiska.

Gerlinde

glennab

Gerlinde, with "a little help from your friends," you did an incredible job on this adorable guy!  He's beautiful.  GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Your final version looks great Gerlinde!   :up:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]