• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What to do with this background

Started by philbach, May 29, 2009, 01:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

:police:
Hi, I am working on this photo at present and do not have a major problem with the subject, but the background pesters me some.  What to do with it.  The color is pretty well messed up but it looks like the subject is on the second floor in front of a window.  In the background may be a driveway and some trees that may be autumn.  Just wondering what you think about this background and what I should do.  Thanks
Phil[img][/img]
phil

Mhayes

Hi Phil,

I think this might be a studio with a background of trees behind. What looks at first like a window is probably the imprint of the frame the picture was in. If you look at the lower left hand side, you will see the framing. You may have to do this as a black/white or at the very least do the background that way, since there is nothing to recover on the color.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Phil

My first impression is that he's either sitting outside or in a studio with an outdoor fall backdrop.  The white band behind him reminds me more of a fence than a driveway, but there's so little shading and perspective that I'm not certain.  The fence would make more sense if he were sitting in front of a backdrop.  If all else fails, follow the shades and shapes as best you can and don't wear yourself out trying to figure out exactly what's there.  Sometimes when you do that, the background will eventually become more discernible.  If not, it IS background and secondary, and fortunately the gentleman is relatively clear.

Good luck!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

philbach

Thanks for your suggestions.  I'll press on.  I'll post again when I get a little farther with this.
phil

philbach

Well I put in a background and blurred it and muted it.  I think its fairly close to the original.  Before I submit this are there any suggestions?[img][/img]
phil

Johnboy

Phil,

I would move the background more to the right so the vine is not growing out of his ear. It would also give the man more separation from the background at that point. Otherwise it looks good.

Johnboy

woliver1

Phil,
Looking good.  You may play with the color & sat of the background in an attempt to bring more focus to the foreground.  Maybe a tad more blurring also.  At present, it looks a tad bit "painted on".  Otherwise, you have certainly done well with the gentleman.

Hannie

Hi Phil,

What a great clean up, this photo is covered with white dots all over!
When you look at the red channel there is a good part of detail left for the man's face and background.  It means a lot of cloning, (I did part of the left background and his mouth on the red channel image) but it can be done.  No matter how careful we are, a replaced background always makes the photo look funny.

Hannie

(red channel + original with levels adjustment)
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

It's a tough one Phil. I ajusted the original for colour, took the saturation down on the orange stain, resampled the colour around it and then blurred it quite heavily using your restore of the man.
Just another thought as its only a very rough try?

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

philbach

Well thanks for your help.  After reading your comments, I'll use the original background.  Using the red channel on the background does eliminate the brownish picture frame stain around the background. 
phil

philbach

8)
Well I went back to the original background and used the red channel to help remove the frame artifact and used Tess's technique.  Here is the final (I think). [img][/img]
phil