• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Latest WIP

Started by hoodman3, May 28, 2009, 07:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodman3

Here is my latest WIP. All comments are welcome. One item is bothering me and that is the black shadow on her left arm just behind the flowers. I don't think it is damage, but it looks a little wierd.

Thanks in advance,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

lurch

Hey, Pete - good job.  Some first impressions: 1) That shadow may well be damage because it doesn't look quite like the other shadows. In any case IMO it should go away;it's distracting. 2) There's a space between the bride and other woman (low in the image) that looks like a bare leg. Maybe it should be wall-colored? 3) Skin tones are somewhat too saturated and maybe too red, for my taste anyway. Maybe a hue/sat layer desaturating the reds a bit would fix it. The rest of the colors are great, though.
<C>

schen

Great restoration, Pete.

1) The shadow on the bride's left wrist may be original.  It matches the angle of the shadow of the bouquet.  But I agree it is distracting.  I would suggest lighten it up or remove it.
2) I think that leg looking thing is the fabric that goes around the bridemaid's shoulder (sorry, don't know how it is called.)
3) I would desaturate no more than 15-20%.  Part of the reason of the dark skin tone is caused by the browser color space.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

TerryB

Hi Pete:
Terrific job.
Suggestion for you to help with the funky background: Gradient with a clouds stamp layer to get some texture back.
The radiator in the lower left corner obviously needs a massage as well.
A Hue/Saturation of H+4, S-30 and L+6 seemed to help with the skin tones.  Your mileage may vary.
Hope this helps.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

VBrestorer

A very nice job, Pete.  One possibility for the "arm shadow" is that it may be part of a ribbon sticking out from the bouquet.  Note the very dark greenery that is part of the bridesmaid/attendant's bouquet.

Just a nitpick, but that dark area enclosed by the 2 ladies face, neck and shoulder has 3 "things" in it.  One is the end of the hair of the lady being kissed.  A second is a shadow cast onto the wall behind them, and the third is a small shadow on the bride's shoulder.  A little adjusting might distinguish each from the other a little more.

Nice job on the bride's eye, by-the-way.

Larry

Johnboy

I looked at this yesterday and again today. My opinion on the dark spot on the bride's left arm is shadow. I agree with Schen about the flash angle. If it were damage I would think it would extend into the flowers. Note that the "shadow" and the edge of the flowers conform where they meet. While it is distracting you can find other shadows under the flowers on the bridemaid's dress of similar density (using the info palette).

Johnboy

glennab

Hi Pete

Really nice clean-up.  I'm going to post a version I played with at lunch with a few notes.  I hope they make sense.  I definitely agree with Shujen that the peach-colored item between the women is a continuation of the shawl of the woman on our left.

Also, the light appears to originate from the upper right, which would make the "shadow" on her arm an anomaly.  I'd lose most of it.

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

lurch

After a closer look, it appears Shugen and the rest of you are right. The 'leg' is definitely one end of the non-bride's stole. Shows what happens when you jump into a crit too fast!
<C>