• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Suggestions Please

Started by hoodman3, May 18, 2009, 07:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodman3

This is my latest WIP. All comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Windows XP, CS3

glennab

Hi Pete

Clean-up is great.

A couple of observations:  I'd rather see the image monochromatic, whether it be black or sepia, and with more contrast.  I'm going to post the image as I adjusted it (with levels and curves).  I've left the wisps of hair at the left of his head rather than deleting them.  I think they're endearing.

Cheers,

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi Pete,

I agree with GK on it being monochromatic--either black/white or sepia. There are some of these old photos that have been colorized, but I don't think this one. You have done a good clean up and I think by changing this to monochromatic, will make it easier to clean up, especially around under her knee where there is blue showing. I like more contrast, but not to the point of the background going totally black. Also, try to hint where her other arm is holding the book. Minor detail, but you may want to add back in the leg of the chair. I realize that this is a WIP, so some of this may be premature. Great start!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

I tended to agree with Glenna that this photo will look good B/W or sepia.  But the original seemed to be color.  I was surprised that the skin tone was somewhat preserved.

Curve - auto; Saturation +75

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

Wow! Pete ignore what I said as I really did not think this had color.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Shujen, you're awesome.  I'd have never expected to see such delicate color come out of that image.  How did you see the potential in that one?

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

lurch

Shujen's color shows that the damage from silvering is worse than the damage from Ike.
<C>

schen

Glenna, it was my rosy glasses that gave me the illusion of the color.  I did a curve layer and clicked auto button.  I saw a hint of skin tone over the face and legs.  It could be my imagination but when I did a +75 saturation, the beautiful skin tone emerged.  There were a couple of postings here that I thought were B/W but our wonderful restorers were able to pull the color out of them.  After that, I always blew up the saturation to search for color.

Shujen Chen

hoodman3

Thanks for all the input!
I'm going to try to get the color that Shujen got.

Thanks again,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

hoodman3

How does this look?

I can't find any info for the leg(s) of the seat or the left arm so I'm timid about creating. Also I omitted the curves adjustment layer Shujen suggested, but used the saturation adjustment layer set at a lower value and added a background copy layer set to multiply.

Thanks again,
Pete

Windows XP, CS3

schen

Shujen Chen

glennab

Pete, it looks great!  What an interesting group project.

Shujen, you've given me another weapon in my arsenal against the muck machines! Thanks!

Cheers,

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Pete, this is beautiful! I agree with what you decided on the chair leg and her arm.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

John

Tori803

Pete, you've really preserved all the charm of the original. Great job!
Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge