• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margie has no electricity

Started by jneil2, May 08, 2009, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jneil2

Just got a call from Margie, and they have had a bad storm pass through.  Electrical power is down, and they do not know when it will be restored. 

Crab Daddy

OHOH. hope nothing bad happens.

jneil2

Just got a call from Margie, and she is still out of commission.  Moving to the Holiday Inn tonight so she can charge her phone!

Jan

Mhayes

I'm Back!

About an hour ago we finally got our electricity back on. We had planned on going to a motel, but after seeing the electric company in the vicinity working, decided to chance it and cancel the motel. I figure with Murphy's law, they wouldn't get it back on and since there was only 3 rooms available; I would be saying good bye to a good evening!

Friday morning about 4 am, I woke up to hear it raining and the wind was really starting to pick up. Pretty soon the wind was roaring outside and I could hear the sirens wailing, so I woke hubby up. We didn't get a tornado, but instead straight line winds at 80 to 100 mph. The electricity went off and by listening to the radio we heard that Hgwy 254 going west out of town was close down because of all the electric poles and wires across the road. To the east the turnpike was closed because of a semi blown over on the south lane and further east they had to close the turnpike because of water over the road. As soon as it was light enough to see out, I discovered half of a tree ac cross my fence and part of another broken off. Further back close to the river, a full grown hackberry tree was flattened.

We came out pretty lucky that more trees were not down. As you drove around, you would see full grown trees either uprooted or broken in half. A little after the storm, I was listening to the radio and they were interviewing a man in Towanda, town 10 mi west of us, and he was seeing lots of the large older trees down. His home had a full grown tree on his house and another on his car. That town had an old stone silo that was totally demolished. As we were cleaning up our yard, there was a piece of wooden trim that had been drove into the ground like an arrow. In town, my favorite Chinese restaurant had the room torn off and one wall caved in.

After hearing of all the damage, my husband remark: " Wll you won't have to travel so far for the next copy run!"

It's great to be back!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

That sounds pretty scary. Glad you're ok and have electricity back.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Thanks Tori and yes it was scary, because I thought we were about to be hit by a tornado. It looks like the storm has caused a lot more damage as it traveled east.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

I am glad Margie you survived the storm and electric outage.  It is hard to imagine how much we rely on electricity until we lose it.

We were under severe thunderstorm warning when the storm was coming our way that night but the storm diminished and went a little south of where I live.  We ended up with only a little shower.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

lurch

Glad to hear you're okay, Margie. Hope you didn't have huge amounts of cleanup to do. That was one horrendous storm and I for one was a little worried about you.
<C>

Tess (Tassie D)

I'm also very glad you came through it ok. Its scary when you see something driven into the ground like that. Makes you glad you weren't in its path.
We were notified of a planned power outage tomorrow from 9 til 3 grrr. I'll make sure the laptop is charged and ready to go.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]