• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

[ADVICE PLEASE] Ptollemy's Second Restoration

Started by Ptollemy, August 01, 2006, 08:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptollemy

Hi all,

I received my second photo and I'm wondering if I have bitten off more than I could chew. The smaller version I chose from didn't look that bad (infact I wasn't sure what the damage was). The larger version I received reveals a Smokey like substance (water damage?) all over the photo. There doesn't seem to be any undamaged area of at all that I can clone and heal from. I've included a small section of the photo at 100% scale. Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated. If I can't solve this one, I'll have to hang my head and hand it back for someone with more experience.

Kind regards
Ptollemy

Kenny

Ptollemy, could you post a low res version of it for comparison? For me, looking at the image too closely causes "can't see the forest for the trees" kind of thing. To me, it looks like there are small spots that need healed ( I see about 6 in the sample), but mostly it needs the levels adjusted and the color brought back to original.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

pcraft

As Kenny has stated, "Can't see the forrest for the trees" .   I agree...  I see the same spots he is speaking of also...  The healing brush set to Darken could soon fix those... 

Robert

Russell

Ptollemy, are you sure this is water damage, and not just film grain, or some artifact of the age of the print?  The image I'm working on has pretty large film grain, which I consider part of the "memory" of the photograph, and I'll do nothing to minimize.  I want to give the family back what they lost, and try not to give them something too different than that.  Just a thought.

Kenny

A quick playing around with the levels on the sample revealed some detail that has been lost:

When viewed at normal viewing size it doesn't look that bad:

I had to train myself not to look too finely at the detail of a high res image. It's like looking at a newspaper under a magnifying glass. Up close it looks grainy and rough, but viewed normally it looks like a picture. I usually zoom in just enough to work on the areas that need it, then zoom out to what the picture would look like normally. Confused? Me too :p, but that's how I learned. Don't give up!  :up:

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Ptollemy

Hi everyone :)

I have already adjusted the level and corrected the colour. No, I'm not sure that it's water damage not the grain of photo; this is only my recond restoration, and my first in colour. Thanks for the feedback, will post a smaller version when I get home.

Muchly appreciated   :)