• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Similar WIP

Started by hoodman3, March 17, 2009, 07:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodman3

This is from the same family of photos as the one I posted last week. Please comment. I'm just about through with this restore.

Thanks in advance
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

lurch

Pete, are you sure the little girl's dress isn't white? After taking out the overall cyan cast, I did a color balance with curves, making the building in the background white. This resulted in the girl's dress going nearly white (maybe it has a pale turquoise lining?); the batter's shorts ended up closer to neutral, and the girl's skin tones were more like they should be. Unfortunately, all this made the orange grunge all the more pervasive. :(

<C>

cmpentecost

Ok, everyone is going to have a different opinion of what is white.  Pete, have you tried the curves adjustment based on this thread:  http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2179.0.html

I just upgraded to CS4, and there are enough changes that I haven't quite figured it out all of the changes yet to to post it online, but based on the above method, I got something a bit between your version and Lurch's version. 

If I may, in my humble opinion, I think your version shows a bit of blue in her dress, and Lurch's version looks a bit washed out, but that is also based on my monitor.  I think it needs a bit of "inbetween".

Don't ya love it when I'm so specific?? ^-^

Hannie

Hi Pete,

Another one of those with the impossible colors!  You have done a great job, it looks so much better!
I had a go at the colors and this is what I came up with:
curves layer:  black point in belt of the dress, white point on boy's short
Hue/Sat layer: red -39, cyan -50, blue -20 (saturation)
Color Balance layer:  magenta/green  +20
Selective Color layer: yellows: magenta -27, black +25
                                  whites: black -25
                                  blacks: black +7
Contrast layer:  contrast  +12

Hope this helps,

Hannie

(after I  posted this image I noticed it is a little too saturated, should be adjusted probably)

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

hoodman3

Thanks for all the help. Hannie your suggestions were great. Christine, I have one question. How do you get rid of the point markers? With all the comments, I think my restore is much improved, but not quite ready to send home. Let me know what you think.
Pete

Windows XP, CS3

cmpentecost

Pete, the point markers don't show up in print, but you can either go back to curves, control click to get rid of them, or use the eye dropper tool and control click to drag them away.  I know they are irritating to look at, but they don't show up in print.  I hope my instructions are correct.  I just closed out Photoshop before turning my computer off, so can't test it to be 100% sure.

Christine

lurch

Pete, I think you've got it! :up:

My only final observation is that the girl's skin has too much magenta. Adult skin in good light should have the cyan channel about 1/3 the magenta and the yellow channel higher than the magenta, to taste. I used  a selective color adjustment layer, adjusting the reds by cyan +47, magenta -10, yellow +46 to get an end result on her forehead of cyan 10, magenta 30, yellow 30. In this case more yellow didn't look right, so . . .

Easiest way to get rid of all the the point markers at once is to set the eyedropper tool to color sampler and click 'clear' on the options bar.
<C>

cmpentecost

Quote from: lurch on March 19, 2009, 12:55:27 AM

Easiest way to get rid of all the the point markers at once is to set the eyedropper tool to color sampler and click 'clear' on the options bar.

I learned something new today.  Thanks!

Chris

hoodman3

Thanks for the help. Lurch, I will try to get the face colors balanced and the point markers are gone.

Many Thanks,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Hannie

Pete, that looks really good, great job!

:up2:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]