• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Lexie 1957-58

Started by Candice, March 14, 2009, 01:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

School Days - Any thoughts?
Candice

Mhayes

Bets,

Great job on restoring and lining up the eyes.  Her hair looks beautiful and nice job of fixing the dress, although some yellow from damage remains. I like how you have hinted at the nose, since you didn't have much to go on. I would be tempted on your right hand side to bring the bottom of her nose in some to make it not so broad. Also, I would have this photo as a black and white, because the sepia tone to me is really water damage. With it being a black/white would mean no hand coloring.Down at the bottom of the photo there is still some water damage. I also noticed that you have done a filter to give the paper a textured look, that I would not do. Very nice job!

Margie

PS Don't forget to remove personal info from photo before posting to the forum.  :)
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

I think maybe her eyes are too wide set. I made a selection of her right eye and moved it straight up. Maybe a tick to our left.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Candice

For the eyes, I took the part that was torn off or slipped whichever the case, used a lasso, and brought it up to match where it came from, thus the spread of the eyes; a bit like putting together a puzzle.  Perhaps we are doing the same thing with different references.  What references did you choose?

Nose.... that I can work on. 

Hand coloring... only done for here and for fun.  I'm not inclinded to make it completely black and white, but more of a manilla.  We're just a few years apart and I took out some of my old school pictures... scary...  I thought I'd use the manilla, because I agree that the other is damage.

This little girl sat in the gallery so long, I'm just glad that I was able to bring out the picture.  At first I had it looking more 'grown',  at least now she is in the right age bracket.

Thank for the ideas.
Bets
Candice

Candice

Nose more narrow.
Eyes set closer together.
Manilla coloration.
Candice

Candice

Any last thought on Lexi before I send her home?

Bets
Candice

lurch

Super job, Bets. Only two things bother me: her right eye looking bigger than her left and the pattern on her dress.

The eye disparity is there in the original, to be sure, and it's impossible to tell which one is right - er, correct. Did the definition on the left eye fade away? Or did the right eye get stretched when the emulsion slipped? Or did Lexie really have different-sized eyes? All thoughts to ponder, but probably nothing to be done about it. ??? In any case, I like the right eye best.

In the original, the dress is definitely plaid (which is a real PITA). Your extraction of the darker parts is a good workaround, but they should line up, I think.

Given the overall condition of the original these are minor, perfectionist-style picks, though.
<C>

Mhayes

Bets, great job! I agree with Lurch on the eyes and I know that it is a tough call when you look at the original. The only thing that catches my eye is on your right hand side of the girl's face is the light feathered coloring around her jaw line. I think it would look better if you took a soft brush or even one with 50% hardness and show more definition around the jawline. On your left, see how there is a clear line between her jawline and hair. The way it is now makes her look like she has fuzz coming off her face. This is a very minor pic on a very good restore.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Eyes and Dress... Modified
Candice

Hannie

Hi Betty,

I'm amazed at what you were able to do with this one!  I like the shape of her face in your first version.  It is funny but the longer I look at the original the more it seems that the damaged parts that came lose did not only "float" downward but also to the right some?  I could be wrong though!

Great job!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

I thought the first was closer also, but I definitely wanted to try the suggestions that have been made...

Going back to the first, what can be kept and what changed.  Maybe a concensis can be made.   I'm with grandkids tonight so no photoshop for the time being, but looking forward to your constructive words.

Bets :)
Candice

Mhayes

Hi Bets,

I agree with Hannie, but nothing like having you straddling the fence not knowing which way to go is there?  ;D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

This way and that way.  That way and this way.

There is a bit of a discrepancy and as many people view it, there will be differences of thoughts
Candice

GP

Hi lagirl,

I know I come into the discussion a little late, so feel free to just disregard my comments. I would say you did the impossible, the girl looks lovely even if it might look a little different from the original. I have a little pick regarding her left shoulder, it looks a little wide compared to her right one. That might just be the "Monk" in me.....  :D

Gerlinde
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

lurch

Gerlinde, I thought it was an OPR requirement - channeling our inner Monk ;D
<C>