• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Does anyone have a picture of this guy?

Started by Deborahjc, March 03, 2009, 08:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deborahjc

I know there were a lot of Phillips photos out there.  Does anyone have a picture of this guy? 

Any comments so far?

Thanks,

Deb

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Deb, off topic but I noticed in the blue channel the man's shirt looks quite good! (so does the lady on our left)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Hannie, Hannie,

This is what you called "quite good!"?  Was this how you tricked the innocent Deb into this photo?

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

It seemed good at the time!  Oh  well, at least it shows which way the vertical stripes go... :P

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Quote from: Hannie on March 03, 2009, 01:00:47 PM
Oh  well, at least it shows which way the vertical stripes go...
They go vertically.  :funny:

Deb, you got your work cut out for you but you were off to a good start. 
Shujen Chen

Deborahjc

Thanks Schen! I thought I just didnt know what "quite good" looked like.  :huh:  The first thing I do when I get a new picture is channel surf - not that it usually helps but I keep looking.  Hope springs eternal that maybe I will get one of those wonderful examples I have seen posted.  Of course maybe I havent been using the channels right (possible!).  

I was thinking of using Kiska's photo to provide a hint of eyes and a face.  I dont know if he is the same guy though and I am reluctant to add more details than that.

Deb

schen

Deb, let's make it the pick on Hannie's day  ;D

My most rewarding channel surfing was from blue channel when the image contains bright yellow blotches.  Secondly was from the Lightness channel of Lab color mode.  Other than that, I had no luck with others.

The reference photo from Kiska does have the same shape of the forehead.  Lack of anything better, I would agree that is the choice of the day.  I would suggest that you keep the contrast and saturation a tad lower and the reconstructed face will blend in better.

Shujen
Shujen Chen

Deborahjc

Despite our picking on Hannie - I was able to get some stripes (left arm only) out of the blue channel.  It was helpful.  I am posting the "work in progress" to see if anyone had advice on the missing man's face (looks kind of scary), the right arm (with a stripy shirt on a bent arm  :P... eek), and the general work so far. 
Those new pictures in Tess's gallery look so good to me right now.   ::)

Deborahjc

Actually the picture might be better if I could just crop him out.  What do you think?

Mhayes

Deb, you are making great progress on a real mess. I would not crop out, because it would be hard to keep the woman with no one there for her to rest her arm on. I would take a gamble and use the photo that Kiska posted of the man. It looks like the same person to me. You will have to work on the the difference in lighting, but the other photo will give you some details in the face.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

Deb, it would be taking unwarranted liberties, but you could turn the man into a sofa  >:D (Too bad there's not a smilie for Grin, Duck, and Roll!)

Alternative to the forbidden, you should consider using Kiska's head with appropriate modifications.

Have fun with those stripes.
<C>

Deborahjc

actually this is the borrowed head from Kiska's picture.   I was worried that it might not be the same guy so I lowered the opacity a lot.  The face is a slightly different angle too. 

I'm taking Lurch's advice and turning him into a stripy sofa!   >:D

Just kidding ... sort of.

Deb

schen

Deb,

The process I dealt with the stripe shirt restoration:
1. add a blank layer and draw the lines where I believe the stripes should go
2. lasso a large piece of good shirt; copy and paste (the pasted piece will be between the original layer and the layer from "1"
3. use all the transformation tools applicable to fit part of the piece to a damaged area according to the lines drawn in "1"
4. add mask to the pasted layer and use black brush to remove the excess of the pasted piece
5. use level, curve, color adjustment to match the piece to the surrounding
6. repeat until you have all the pieces
7. merge and heal the boundaries

It is quite a tedious process.  I hesitated to suggest it because you did not have much good shirt to start with and you have a bigger challenge of the face to deal with.

I admire your bravery of taking on this task :wnw:

Shujen Chen

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]