• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Red Polka Dot Blouse

Started by haleygd, February 19, 2009, 01:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lena48

I just started using a Bamboo a few months ago. I, too, am left-handed and so I am finding this very user-friendly in one way but also find that I still try to reach for the mouse with my right hand. I have a Bamboo at home and at work so I am making myself use it when I work on photos;  the more I use it, the better I like it!

haleygd

Best I can figure there is a multi-floor building on the right and a single level build t-ed to it in the back. behind that is what appears to be a bare tree and sky.

Still waiting on the tax refund to hit my bank so I can order the intous tablet. I had a Graphire3 tablet many years ago and hated it because the pen was too sensitive and I had no way to adjust it.
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

glennab

Gary, progress is looking good!  What a bear!  I can't wait to see what you pull out of the background.

Chris, you're right, I should be using my tablet.  I loved it from the moment I started using it.

However, if you can picture this, maybe you'll understand why it's packed away right now:  I'm busily pounding away at the computer on my desk which is totally accessible to the fur-butts.  Aaron Neville straddles my keyboard, leans his head on my shoulder and starts purring.  Your being a cat person will help you understand why I hate to give that up.  But if my tablet had been out, his rapier claws would have been right on its surface.  In order to be able to use the tablet without damage from "kitty love" I have to re-wire everything to go into the armoire.  Right now, since Iron Man is liquidating his shop, I have 5 boxes of "stuff" sitting in front of the armoire waiting to be sorted and put away.  My dilemma is that all the "stuff" that was stored at the shop was there because there was no space for it in the house.  Now IT'S BAAAAAACK!  And my house is the same size it was when we stored everything.  Arghhhhhh!

I found the tablet (I have a Wacom Intuous 6x8) to be perfect for restoration work.  I'd definitely recommend the Wacom to any of our OPR-sters.  It's phenomenal!

I need a t-shirt that says "I survived 2008!"  Now that it's over (except for the therapy for whiplash), I hope we'll have no more disasters and things like re-working my computer system can get higher on the priority list.  Then I can use my tablet again.  Life will be good!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

I can totally understand Glenna.  Before my Cintiq, when I was using the tablet, I constantly had kitty footprints on the surface area.  Now, with a kitten in the house, I have my little Gracie pawing at my Cintiq monitor chasing the curser around!  Oh, I wouldn't do without either though...my cats or my Cintiq!

Chris

haleygd

Took a break from the trio and worked on the background. Let me know if I went too far. I figure a vignette or a general soft blur will tone down most of it to keep the trio as the major ojects of focus. I will try to add some highlights and shadows to the car to get some of curves better definition. Back to the faces and hands next.

Gary

Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

haleygd

Starting to work on the blouse. Built a black square with red dots on it and am in the process of adding and then warping to fit the contours of the blouse.  Any thoughts?
Gary

battleaxe

hi,
  Are you sure it isn't a patterned shirt?  You could use the burn tool, or sponge tool  to bring out the colours more, or multiply the layer and mask out the unneeded items.....

haleygd

The diamond pattern has been discussed before and I did start with a diamond in the pattern. But I found it harder to align and not even sure if it is true or not. Once I have a solid and clean blouse I can change the color of dots to recreate any pattern.

haleygd

11 patches later her right side (of the blouse) is finished.... Got a few tweaks to do to make the seams better but that is basically it. Now to repeat for the other side!

Hannie

Hi Gary,

I can see how you would like to clean up the blouse on the left more but it is starting to look a little painted now?  Would it be possible to perhaps clean up the pattern a little as it is and even apply some burn maybe?  That way it would remain the same blouse, even if a little blurry!
Great job otherwise!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

lurch

Gary, I do admire you for undertaking this one. It is a real challenge and you've made great progress!

I have a couple of observations, though: 1) looks to me as if that blouse has not only spots but a belt; and 2) it appears that the officer's eyes are aiming in two different directions. I agree with Hannie that the blouse looks too 'painted' at the moment - assume when it's done you intend to tone it back some to look more photographic.

<C>

haleygd

Ok, I think I am in the home stretch, with only minor tweaks, shading and highlights left. Here is what I have so far. I have reduced the opacity of the new blouse layers to get let some of the highlights through for this version though I want to add new highlights on a separate layer and bring the opacity back to 100 before finalizing.
Gary

haleygd

Unless there are comments to the negative, this is my proposed final rendition of this restore. I am including the original to get the true before and after...

Mhayes

Gary, I think you have done a great job with this one!  The only problem that I see is that you are approaching this more as a creative retouching than trying to do a restoration based on the original. If the lady's blouse had been missing so much information that your only option  would have been to rebuild from scratch, then what you did would be understandable and would be the your only option. This original blouse does have a pattern and does not look like your finished rendition. Hannie pointed this out earlier that you were headed to a more painted look and others offered ways to get the original brought back.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

Maybe some help on the blouse pattern. I think Hannie already mentioned it. The blouse is made up of large diamonds made up of smaller red diamonds and gray diamonds. These large diamonds appear to be framed or separated by white diamonds. Below are the three channels from a cmyk copy. They definitely show that the diamonds are not all one color.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro