• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Red Polka Dot Blouse

Started by haleygd, February 19, 2009, 01:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haleygd

Ok ladies, fashion question... Should all the dots be red or is there a diamond design that I am seeing, and if so what is the other diamond's dots color? I know its not the teal/cyan as that is garbage that doesn't even line up where the dots should be. It looks like diamonds with diagonal lines of white dots to me...
Gary

Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

glennab

Hi Gary

I downloaded your original and tweaked color to see what I could get.  I definitely see a diamond pattern, the lightest small diamonds of which appear to be a light peach/salmon color.  The reds are obvious, but the other color comprising the inside of alternating large diamonds looks to me like a subtle olive or muted green.  Odd combination, but I checked each set of diamonds-within-diamonds, and that's what I get.  Because there's green damage, I first wondered if the odd green color was created by the muck, but many are relatively clean, and I still see the olive shade.

For what it's worth, an analysis from ancient eyes.

GK

BTW, the rest of your work in progress looks great, especially the faces.
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

haleygd

Ok, thanks. But that will be the last task of cleaning up the threesome. I will get the rest done first. Here is another work in progress, snapshot in time. I am sort of bouncing around in where I work on.

Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

glennab

Hi again Gary

Since I'm not on my lunch hour at work as I was when I first checked out your WIP, I thought I'd take a little time and play.  I'm going to post the image I got, saved into a separate grayscale file, of what I found when I converted to CMYK, used Image-Calculations, combined yellow and cyan and set the blending mode to soften.  It gives you a better idea of the softer contours of the faces and clothing (I noted in your last post that as you cleaned up the mess you were getting more angularity.)

I've worked with calculations before, and sometimes they create miracles and other times nada.  But if you play with the channels (and it seems to work best with CMYK) and blending modes it's amazing what sometimes pops out of the debris.

I made a separate file with my calcs, but you also have the option of creating a new channel.  I hope this helps.

You sure know how to pick 'em!  Good luck.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

haleygd

Hi Glenna, is this technique written down somewhere? But I can actually see the top of the car (and I don't think it is a Mustang) and the building behind appears to be only a single story and there is sky and a tree! That is amazing. I knew I was "getting angular" and planned to soften up the lines as I progressed. I also need to add some shadow and highlights to the faces and pants. Can only do so much at a time before the eyes go buggie... And this is all with a mouse, though I am planning on stimulating the economy and get a 6x11 wacom tablet as soon as my income tax refund is in the bank.

Cheers and thanks for the insight.    Gary

glennab

You're more than welcome, Gary.

To be honest, I don't remember if we've had any discussion on the forum of this technique.  I may have mentioned it before – not sure.  I can't even remember if I've read about it in any of my many Photoshop and restoration books.  I fiddle around with it off and on. Desperation has given me good reason to test things I wouldn't normally attempt.  This one can often be a gem!

I know about the buggy eyed syndrome.  Sometimes you have to walk away for a while and come back with fresh eyes.

You'll love the tablet!  I'm ashamed to say I've had one for more than a year, and for fear of cat damage I've only used it a couple of times.  I finally got a computer armoire to close up my electronics from the fur-butts, but rearranging everything is so time-consuming, and we've had many other challenges to keep me busy.  One day...

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Glenna, I can't believe you still aren't using your tablet!  When you finish with the computer, you should just unplug it and put it in a box, to keep it safe.

Gary, you'll wonder how you ever did photo restorations with a mouse once you get used to the tablet.

Christine

Charlene5

I, too, have a Wacom tablet I'ver used only a couple of times.  I've worked with my little mouse for so long that the tablet felt awkward and uncontrollable.  I think I'm just too old and uncoordinated to master it :)

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

G3User

Another vote for a tablet, couldn't do without my 6 x 4 Wacom. However if I need to be precisely accurate on a point, the mouse still does the best job

I have also been using pen with the blur tool at 100% to do small  repairs and find it can help when blending different shades, typically on a face.

Athol

hoodman3

It amazes me that some people can do a restore without a tablet! I could never work on a photo without it. There is a small learning curve, but it gives you so much more control and I haven't even bothered to set all the controls. It's pretty much set the way it came out of the box. It's a 6x8 Wacom and I've used it for about 6 yrs. Love it!

Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Tori803

I've slowly been learning how to use my Wacom tablet too. It does take a little getting used to, but it came in really handy when my mouse died. Since then I've been make more of an effort to get comfortable with it. The more I use it, the more comfortable I get.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

cmpentecost

I'm pretty much using the presets as well on the tablet.  I am left handed but use the mouse with my right hand.  So, when I first started restoring photos, I was doing so with the "wrong" hand.  Perhaps that is why the tablet was so natural to me...I'm using my correct hand!

Since my first Wacom tablet several years ago, Wacom has significantly improved and expanded on their line of hardware.  I am using the original Cintiq 21UX, yet Craig Hergert, whom I interviewed with Montana Panoramic (and sells his photos for $600 a piece) is using a Bamboo.  If I was JUST doing photography, the Bamboo would probably be fine for me (although I still prefer the Intuos).  As for doing restorations, I love my Cintiq.  I should add though that my husband bought this for me as a surprise, after I declined to pay the price for the system.  It's well worth every penny. (And, it makes for a lot of WOW's when showing it to my friends.  I gave my Mom a Bamboo tablet for her birthday (and she's an OPR volunteer) and it works great for what she is doing.

I know this subject has strayed far from the original topic, but bottom line is using a pen gives you a lot more control than a mouse can.

Christine

Chris

haleygd

Forum's been quiet lately so I am trying to stir things up a bit. Here is another version of my current work in progress... Still have a lot to go.

Hannie

Very nice Gary, it is getting better all the time!

You live in Florida, I have been busy this week helping my daughter get ready to go to Miami tomorrow.  She and her little girl will be joining the Cayamo Cruise, lucky devils!  The trip actually was meant for hubby and I but due to medical problems we weren't able to go.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Wow, you've come a long way Gary.  What do you think is in  the background?

Chris