• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Contrast in Disaster

Started by Ausimax, February 07, 2009, 09:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

North Queensland has been experiencing Monsoonal rain and Cyclones for the past Month or more, in some areas they have recorded 20 inches of rain over night, and the rain is expected to continue for several days yet.

At the same time New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia have been suffering temperatures in the mid 40's *C and massive bush fires across all three States.

At the last count this morning 26 people are known dead in Victoria, and the count is expected to rise dramatically when they can get into some of the burnt-out areas, whole towns have been destroyed.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

lurch

Max,

I really empathize with Australia's trials - reminds me some of California's past year, though floods/mud slides are separated in time from the fires. Doesn't it seem like these things are happening more often nowadays?

Carole
<C>

Mhayes

Max, I feel for you guys over there. Are you close to either the fires or the flooding? I watched the news on TV and wondered if any of our Aussie friends were in danger. Flooding would be terrible, but I don't think anything comes close to the terror of fire. I hope they get the fires under control. Thanks for sharing the photos as they are very dramatic!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Hey Max,

Stay safe over there.  Where are you in relation to the floods/fires (I think Margie asked the same question).  I need to pull out my map of Australia, but please be safe...we'll all be thinking of you.

Chris     :hug:

Tess (Tassie D)

I think and hope Max is well south of the flooding. The death toll for Victoria is now 66 and hundreds of homes gone, whole towns burnt to the ground. Many people have died in their cars trying to escape and drive through the thick smoke, falling trees etc. They only had minutes before the fires roared up over the hills and down to their homes. :(
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Yes I'm well south of the flooding and well north of the fire areas at present, thanks for your concern.
The death toll from the fires is just horrendous, and still expected to increase. I think I would prefer flooding, it causes great damage but not total destruction, at present two thirds of Qld is a declared flood disaster area, and there have only been 3 reported deaths. Qld has an area of 715,000 sq miles so that gives an idea of the area effected.

I wonder that you have not been able to see the smoke Tess, though it would depend on the wind direction.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

It breaks my heart to think of the people in Victoria, I wish them a lot of strength in these hard times, same for the folks that are dealing with the floods up North.
Max, thank you for sharing these photos.

:hug:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Charlene5

Max thank you for sharing your pictures.  Our thoughts are with our Aussie friends.

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

glennab

Max, I had no idea that our beloved Australia was dealing with so much devastation (don't watch TV, don't have time to check the newspaper often).  I'm glad you're safe, but heartbroken at the destruction and death occurring elsewhere in your country.  I'm sending love and light your way in hopes that guardian angels will spread their wings over one of my favorite places in the world.

Florida has spells of wildfires and they're truly terrifying.  It would be beyond wonderful if mother nature would have a little mercy on all of us.

Bless and hugs,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Max,

Glad to hear that you are fine but sorry to hear the disasters happening in your part of the world.  We were just warmed up above freezing after more than a month of deep freeze (several days below -30C).  I forgot that it's monsoon/cyclone season there.

Hope all those disasters will stop soon.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

G3User

Police in New South Wales have charged two people with arson and it is believed that a number of the fires in Victoria were also man made.

Makes you wonder doesn't it

Athol

Tess (Tassie D)

I know what I'd like to do to these fire bugs.  :knuppel: The death toll is up to 108 now, it's just awful. But it's wondeful to see everyone pull together by sending money, clothing and essentials.
We haven't got much of the smoke Max. The prevailing wind is in the opposite direction at the moment.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]