• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

More advice please

Started by recycledhippy, January 21, 2009, 11:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recycledhippy

Hi

Could someone please help me on how to improve the Photographers logo
Everything I try seems to give the same or very similar results as shown

Thanks
Hippy

Candice

I tried cleaning up around it just a bit.  I use the clone and I also took the surrounding colors and painted out the area that bled over.  Gee, hope that makes sense.   :)
Candice

recycledhippy

Thx lagirl

Worked a treat - thx

Hippy :up:

Hannie

Hippy, just zoom in as much as you can before cleaning around the logo, it'll work.

Sometimes I select the letters of the logo with the magic wand set at 25 and place them on a separate layer.  After it has been cleaned and the restore is finished it can be placed back.  It is a little tedious and for this logo it wouldn't work.  The edges aren't well defined.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi RH

This would be a call for the distribution coordinators, but the font is Park Avenue, which I have.  If you get the okay to replace it, I can make a vector version and send it to you; and since I know there are many, many of these photos, the logo would be less of a problem.

Let me know. (I'd need a large, relatively distinct copy of what you have, because there's been some adjusting to a couple of the letters, but I be a professional and know how to fix that!)

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

Now, I'll have to go and look for that font!  There's a bunch that I've added recently but not that one! 

Thanks for the clue,
Bets
Candice

Mhayes

Hi Les,

The other alternative would be for me to find a photo with the logo in good shape and then mask out the background and you would be able to drop in on top of what you have. Also, you have done several of these wedding photos, so you could do a selection of the logo on one of your other photos and make a template for a layer to use on photos where the logo is bad.

I know that you have uploaded this one back, but you may want to do some changes. I'm not sure how you are doing your color correction, but if you did a Levels Adjustment at the very beginning on each channel, your colors would be better. The bride's mother has a pink dress and in some parts the highlights have been blown out almost to white. Also, the bride's dress has the highlights really blown out. In the original you would be able to see the folds and some light blue color in the dress.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

HellZiggy

This might be a silly question, or one that has been addressed other places, but...

With photos like this with a studio name on them, does OPR ask the customer if they've checked with the original photographer to see if the negatives/proofs/etc are still available? Because obviously reprinting from the original negs would be a much better option.

Also, I know I've seen some photos that are elementary class photos & such. Has anyone ever checked with the school to see if they keep archives of all the different group photos, because again, a scan of one of those would be better than any restoration.

Like I said, this may be something answered already elsewhere. It just occurred to me again while I was looking at this one.

~Sharon

Mhayes

Sharon, not a silly question, but in the case of the wedding photos that were damaged by Hurricane Katrina, there's not much chance of that being an option or I think that would have been the couples first stop.  If much time has elapsed, the photographer would no longer keep the negatives.

With elementary class photos and in particular ones posted from the Winona flood, we have not had any luck trying to find other copies. We haven't totally given up and Jeremiah Shimshak who helped spearhead the rescue in Winona has searched for duplicates with no success at this point.

Not all is lost, since some of the really old and historical photos, we have had luck in finding copies.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

I remember asking some photo owners on the Biloxi trip if they had tried contacting the photographer or studio to get copies made.  I was told that the galleries and photographers had as much damage and destruction and flooding as everyone else, and there was no hope of getting duplicates made.  I remember one person telling me they had stored valuable photos in the bank vault, only to have the bank and the vaults flooded, and they were unable to retrieve their belongings until 3 months after Katrina.

Christine

agua_agua

I'm shocked at how pink her dress is. In the photo I'm working on, it looks peach. Huh. Does anyone know if there a way to get colors "in sync"?  I'm more convinced by your pink than my peach.

Hannie

Agua, the color of the dress in your restore is fine.  The above photo is just a little blown out and if you look at the original below the color of this dress and the one in your restore are not far apart.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Hippy,

You may want to check the level adjustment.  The highlight areas seemed too bright and lost the details.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6