• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New den for resting man

Started by JohnnyE, January 02, 2009, 04:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyE

OPR Masters,

Any comments/suggestions before I submit? The fireplace was a struggle and still not right, but hopefully close enough to evoke the original emotion of the photo. Fortunately, the majority of the damage was in areas of repeated patterns that existed elsewhere in the image.

Full size at http://eldridge.smugmug.com/photos/447323872_pY4fk-X3.jpg

-John

schen

Wonderful restoration. 

The sofa may be showing a leg?

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

JohnnyE

Interesting point.  I had brushed that off as damage, but the upper edge of it is too coincidental with the bottom edge of the couch, so perhaps a leg it is. Adding it back in both hurts and helps my perception. First, the floor to seat and seat to armrest ratios (A/B) now look more natural, but because this interprets the couch being even farther from the gentleman (C), now it seems unnaturally tall in this perspective?

If this seems okay, I'll add in the leg.

hoodman3

John,

Great job on this restore! Small pick, all fireplaces are symmetrical. Not sure what to suggest, but they are the same on both sides.
Good Luck,

Pete
Windows XP, CS3

glennab

Hi John

Awesome job on what looked like an irreparable mess.

There are a couple of things I question: on the far right of the wall there appears to be green going all the way up and abutting the frame of the window.  In looking at the position of the traverse rods and drapes, I think the green is painted wall, the drapes go to the top of the frame where the rod is, no frame would show on our right, and in the original there appears to be chain or cord draped from the ceiling and down the wall: probably a swag to plug in the lamp.

While I can see what Shujen describes as a "foot" on the couch, I agree with you that it seems to throw off the perspective.  I wonder if the rug goes under the couch and further into the room, and if so, would that make the foot work?

I'd also darken the area in the fireplace to the right.  It looks like damage to me, rather than ash.

I'm with Pete in thinking that the fireplace looks askew, but I can't for the life of me determine what's really there.  The bricks don't have perspective, so I think they're flat to the wall rather than jutting out at an angle (my first thought).  I'm baffled.  Maybe the best thing to do would be to have the opening of the fireplace even all the way across the "overhang."  There appears to be a metal (maybe brass?) lip on the front edge.

And one last thing: there appears to be discoloration above the lit wall sconce that isn't glow from the light.

Small picks for one heck of a restoration.  Great work!

Cheers,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

JohnnyE

I appreciate the feedback, Glenna and Pete.

On the fireplace, in the original it looked like the fire screen out in front of the fireplace was set at an odd angle so I left it like that. You can see the bricks through the screen on the right side. I see now I left in a tiny bit of green damage near top right of the screen that makes it look even more strange and I blurred the firescreen handle which makes it harder to identify. I'll try to fix those.

I will fix the damage near the fire. I agree it is too high frequency of noise to be in the original.

Good call on the drapes. I totally left them hanging in space. D'oh!

Regarding the green wall, I actually started with that assumption and then backed away because I drew in the line that formed from the parts that were visible and it is lopsided and not parallel with any of the other verticals in the image. So it doesn't seem to be a corner. Plus there's no light falloff of a corner. Maybe it's just a change in the wallpaper on the same plane of the same wall? It's hard to tell whether it extends to the ceiling or not.

As for the rug and the couch leg,  the hints seem to indicate that the rug stops there, either under the leg (if it is one) or just in front of the couch which would make the dark spot just some unknown item on the floor. It's a thinker for sure.

Thanks again for the feedback.

-John

glennab

Hi John

FIRESCREEN!  For cryin' out loud, now that you said it, of course I can see that's what it is. Amazing isn't it, that we see such different things – even when they're obvious.  As for the green at the right, I'm wondering if it's wide molding for a doorway.  Whatever it is, I doubt that it'd be missed.

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

JohnnyE

I think you were right about the green wall. So funny how once I had in my head how wide that window was that I couldn't make the wall make sense. But when I went back to review the original again, I realized that the window is narrower than I imagined (the lock on the window was my clue that it's a narrow window). That meant that the corner could be visible here. And my light falloff argument didn't hold because of the lamp directly above the man. Once I accepted that as a wall, the chain to the lamp now made sense, too.

Also, the fireplace and screen look much better now and believable. Thanks for pointing it out.

Here's my (hopefully final) take...

cmpentecost

glennab

Absolutely no picks, John.  A fabulous job.  When I saw this one in the gallery I thought to myself, "Self, no one can make this one look decent – don't even go there."  You did, and it's a masterful restoration.  Mega kudos!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

JohnnyE

Thanks!  The newbie in me didn't know any better to stay away from it, so I had to just stare it down.   :wow:

It forced me to learn some new stuff. I learned how to create and use a pattern brush to make a nice square grid for the bricks of the fireplace.  I scaled it to exactly match the existing bricks, then masked away the cross hatches that existed in places that mortar didn't. Blur to taste and voila, bricks!

The hardest part is definitely just trying to figure out what's under the damage. It's some fun detective work, huh? :)

Mhayes

John, it is amazing what you have done with this one!  :up: It has also been fun to see how it has come together and everyones take on this photo!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]