• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Time to rally 'round the flags . . .

Started by lurch, December 29, 2008, 09:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hey Bets

I love that slogan, too, especially on my late Dad's behalf.  He joined the Navy at 16 (lied about his age because he wanted to be in WWII), and he was NAVY through and through.  We had two dachshunds, and they were trained to not eat their food if he told them the kibbles were "Army Chow."  The minute he told them it was "Navy Chow," they dug in.  Priceless!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

This topic has been such a joy to read.  It is heart warming to see how creative people are in finding the answers to make a restore look like the photo is was once.
Kudos to all of you for making this possible!

(Glenna what great story about your Dad!)

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

At least he didn't make them wait and tell them the food was Army men! LOL

:funny:
Candice

Candice

Quote from: lurch on December 30, 2008, 07:51:35 PM
Might have solved one of our mysteries . . . What do you think? Also, here are full-resolution excerpts of the three flags.

Can't believe how helpful you all have been!

From one of my sources:
Seems to be a 2 in front of Roberts and a 1 in front of Rockwell. I am just an old Army man and I do not know much about Navy Rank. Maybe Seaman 2nd class and Seaman 1st class?
Candice

Charlene5

Oh help I don't know which is Roberts and who is Rockwell, but if we're talking about the two in the center front I could venture an opinion.

The one on the left is a officer and the right is an NCO.   The NCO has three stripes which is an E5 and I can't make out his rating.   He's whatever the Navy calls the Drill Sergeant.  The officer on the left is most likely the company commander and might be an 03 Lieutenant.  In the Army that would be a captain, but in the Navy a captain is a full colonel.  Confusing, isn't it?  :wow: 

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

lurch

MJ, you've made my head spin (or is that sprained my brain?) :crazy: How you military folk can keep that all straight is a mystery to me.

Roberts and Rockwell are names in black on the red flag,
<C>

lurch

Bets - that's more than I could get out of the stuff in front of those two names. Please be sure to tell your sources thank you for me. (Thanks go to you, too, of course!)
<C>

Charlene5

Quote from: lurch on January 01, 2009, 04:27:16 PM
MJ, you've made my head spin (or is that sprained my brain?) :crazy: How you military folk can keep that all straight is a mystery to me.

Lurch what I find the most confusing is that the Marine Corps is part of the Navy, but Marines use the same rank designations as officers as the Army.   With the Naval rank I have to count on my fingers and do a mental translation. The Navy designation for what the Army and Marines call a non-commissioned officer is "petty officer" - "petty" meaning small and unimportant in normal usage.   ;D

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells