• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Newly Weds

Started by haleygd, December 23, 2008, 04:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haleygd

Any thoughts on color correction? Her dress appears to be a light blue. I'm not sure is his suit is similar or a gray. Will probbaly touch up and then blur the right side of the car. I am currently searching for a pastural scene to blend into the left which will then also be blurred.

Gary

Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

kiska

I believe the blues are a lot softer.

1 Do a levels in each channel. Bring the black and white sliders to where the graph begins to peak.

2 Run a curves. Double click the white dropper.White=96% brightness. I think I clicked her collar. Double click the black dropper. Black=6% brightness. Click the car grille.

3 hue/sat. Desat the yellow. Then a new layer set to color. There is a 'good' blue on each of their shoulders. Build up the color.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

lurch

My take (FWIW  ::)) - Her dress is pale blue, his suit is dove gray, car is off white. WIP so far has way too much cyan. Kiska has given you good advice on color correction workflow.
<C>

Hannie

Wow Kiska, nice tut on color correction, thanks so much! 

I always forget that I can do those black and white droppers after I have done the separate levels adjustments.
Another good tip is your use of a hue/sat. adjustment layer in one color!  (Now why have I never thought of that myself?)

Very nice color correction.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Thanks Kiska, great tut on building on the adjustment layers to get the best result!  :up: I'm guilty of doing it one way, but not building up to get a better color. Very Nice!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Great tut Kiska. You should add it to the tutorials section. :up:

I get a very similar result through the kodak filter.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

haleygd

Thanks, I'll give that process a go, I was doing the individual colors on the levels but not the curves. I tend to be a bit heavy handed and always need to back off a bit.
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

haleygd

Well back from the holidays... here is the next go... still a lot more work to do.

lurch

Hi Gary,

You sure picked a doozy this time! Great job so far. The new background looks nice - Margie might even let you keep it, since there's no hint of the original in any of the original's channels. You might try a few pixels more feather on the edges of the car/couple so they don't look quite so cut out. And I hope you intend to address the color balance later. As it stands now, the blue dress still has too much cyan and flesh tones  look too red. You're making good progress on a very difficult photo.
<C>

glennab

Hi ho Gary

I played around with your image a bit this evening, and I got a cooler photo, which I think works pretty well.  I  got basically the same depth of color as kiska did, then because I thought the faces didn't look natural yet, I went to selective color and reduced magenta and yellow in both the reds and magentas.  Very subjective, I realize, but here's what I concocted:

(BTW, you might want to remove the file info.  It's still in the original that I downloaded)

Cheers,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Hi Gary,
Very nice clean up, you are a true hero for working on this one and you have come an amazing job so far!

I agree with Kiska and Glenna's ideas of what the colors should be.  Those corrections are best done at the start, Kiska's tut won't work so well on your work in progress.  I do think the colors are very bright and the dress should be more like it was in the original.  I'm sure that will be very important to the bride!
I tried a few adjustments that will bring the colors closer to what they should be (but I may have gone a little too far  ::)):

This is what I did:

I used a selective colors adjustment layer and changed the reds, cyan and greens.

reds:     cyan +20, magenta -18,  yellow +19, black +8
cyan:     cyan -29,  magenta   0,   yellow 0,     black +45
greens: cyan -31,  magenta +29, yellow -62,  black +10

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]