• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Should I crop? - newbie question

Started by mgalante, December 14, 2008, 12:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgalante

I am brand new at this and selected an image that is possibly over my head.  But my first question: is it ever appropriate to crop?  I think I can get most of the older girl's arm, but I have no idea how to reconstruct her hand.  Suggestions please  - and I would appreciate some feedback as to whether the work I have done already is on the right track.
Thanks! - Mandy

Candice

Cropping is generally not done.  As for the hand, when you get to that area, there are a great many that will help and have the experience to do so.  Don't worry we don't bite!   :knuppel:   :)
Candice

glennab

Mandy, welcome to OPR.  I think what you've done so far looks great.  As for cropping, we try not to do any if at all possible, but in a case like this, I'd check with my distribution coordinator and find out if a bit of judicious trimming would be appropriate.  I've had at least one instance in which I've gotten the okay to crop and then bring the image back up to its original size. There are times when that's preferable to trying to recreate what you can't see.

Cheers,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

haleygd

Maybe a strong vignette to help mask what is lost...

Gary
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Candice

Vignette would have to be something you'd take up with Margie.  I've read somewhere that it's been discouraged here with some exceptions.  You can ask and see if you're the exception.

Hugs,
Bets

Candice

Mhayes

Hi Mandy, I think this would be one of those times that vignette would be the exception that would be allowed. But first, let me check with the other distributors and see if there are any other reference photos of these two. A vignette with soft edges would probably be better than a crop, because it would look awkward with a baby with one arm.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

mgalante

Thanks for the quick replies - I can see now how cropping would be discouraged as a substantial change in the image.  Margie, I received introduction emails from both you and Hannie - which one would be my "distributor"?  If a vignette is allowed, who would make that decision?

I will continue to work on the hair & faces in the  meantime.  I am such I will need more advice on this one, good to know you all are out there.

Mhayes

Your distributor would be the one that you got the photo from. Since I didn't know the name or what gallery it came from; I was waiting to see if they might have another photo for reference. It sounds like you got this photo from Hannie, so she could check her gallery. Most likely my email to you was with the introduction letter and Hannie's was the actual download from her gallery. All of us can help, but the distributor that sends out your photo will be the most help.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Mandy,

I found your photo and played around with it and am not really sure the best option. To crop this photo has some problems with the baby missing an arm and the older girl missing an arm and hand. I noticed that you can see what looks like her hands clasped at the bottom. I also tried a vignette and wasn't happy with how it looked. Here is what I came up with and I got carry away as you will see. This one really needs a hairdresser.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Mandy,

Great job you did on the dress! 
Unfortunately there are no other photos that can be used for reference.
I think this may be one of the few instances where a crop may be the best solution, the rest of the photo is in such good condition that almost anything we manage to add on to it looks funny. 
The photo is very large, so the bodyparts we add will also be very prominent.
What do you all think of this crop?  (I used the crop tool stet at 8x10 inch by 300dpi).

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Hannie, I think your crop works very well.  Trying to recreate the hands would be impossible, and since this is an 8x10, anything contrived would be much too obvious.  I'd say the bottom could be cropped even a bit more and some background added to the top.  Not only does the crop solve the problem of recreating the hands, but it also really brings attention to those beautiful little faces.

Cheers,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

I quite like Margie's rendition so I had a play with the other hand in a different position.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

I like Margie's version of the baby's arm/hand, unfortunately it is out of context with the original image a bit too much ( though if Margie could check with the owners, the position suits the facial expression so well).

Tassie's version would work well with a little more work on shading etc:

The large girls right forearm is much too long, if the arm were straightened out a bit from the elbow the hand could be lost off picture- see sketch.

Other than the problems in hand, weak pun, this photo has the potential to be great, two beautifully expressive subjects.

Max

By the way, this image still contains Exif information. :knuppel:
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Mhayes

This has been an interesting one and yes, I took too much liberty with the missing arm and hand on the baby.  I like how Tess has the placement of hers better. Max, you're right on the girl's arm being too long, but what drives me nuts is what appears to be the little girl's hand on the bottom.

Hannie, any chance of any photos of the two children? I will try to contact the owner's and see if they might have a reference photos.

Through all of the discussions, something just hit me--where is Mandy? Come back, come back, wherever you are.   :)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]