• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Latest Restore

Started by hoodman3, December 09, 2008, 07:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodman3

Here is my latest restoration. I need help once again with how to sharpen the image. Any other comments are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Johnboy

Pete,

I don't know if this will work for you but in one of my resent restores Glenna gave instructions on how to sharpen an image using the high pass filter. Mine didn't need as much as yours but you might check out the post.  http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1883.0.html  I was surprised at the improvement it made. Her instructions are towards the end.

Johnboy

battleaxe

maybe put image in Lab, copy the lighteness channel, overlay it , copy and multiply the layer?

Hannie

Hi Pete,

I like your restore of the ship and you don't have to sharpen it.  Even though sharpening might look presentable on the monitor, it can look terrible when printed!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

I wouldn't try to sharpen it. It was a VERY soft image originally.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

I agree about the sharpening and especially with this photo. Either the picture was too soft because it was too far away, shutter speed of the camera not fast enough, movement from the camera person, or all three. In this case, there is really no way to bring back what was not there in the first place. We prefer that photos not be sharpened, because QC will make the final decision and sharpen if it needed. Another reason for not sharpening is that if it is done wrong, the looks and color of the photo will go in the wrong direction.

You have done a great job on this one and it is ready to go home.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]