• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Another cat video for Glenna...

Started by John, December 21, 2008, 03:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Hannie

That is so funny, I wonder how he got the cat to do that for him!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

John, that's a stunt I've never seen.  Priceless!  Thanks for sharing it.

Hannie, basically cats train their people to do tricks for them.  They'll do something that's fun for them, and if the people they own go crazy over it, they'll do it again.

Scooter brought me pipe cleaners until I learned to throw them for him so he could fetch.  No lie.  It's just something he loves to do. And he says "water" because when he was on the sink begging as usual for water, he mimicked me (probably inadvertently) and said something that sounded like "water."  Now he actually uses two full syllables and truly says water, because we've made so much of it.

When I come in from work they take turns scratching the daylights out of their scratching pole, because I make over them and tell them what wonderful babies they are.  If the praise comes too slowly they'll stop and look at me as if to say "Well...?!"

Our gray wack-job, Smoke, has learned to open the screen doors to forbidden rooms (and they open OUT).  She'll hook a claw into the screen, then back up on three legs as the rest of the team sneaks into whatever room they want to visit.  So now we have latches on the doors.  Won't be long before she figures those out.

They're much smarter than anyone who doesn't live with a pride realizes!

Hugs

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Amazing.  My mom saw the same trick for a dog in a movie many many years ago.  She came home and trained our dog to do the same.  But I have never seen a cat doing it.

When our dog was alive few years ago, she refused to learn any trick.  I thought she was so smart.  She knew if she pretended she could not learn, she did not have to do the tricks.  Glenna, there is a Taiwanese saying: baby makes parent a lair.   :funny:
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Shujen, that may be a Taiwanese saying, but it's a universal concept.  Do you think Scooter says "water" when anyone else is here?  It's one of the reasons I don't try to teach the cats tricks.  This is what I get when I tell my friends and associates at work that Scoot talks:  "Okayyyyyy, Glenna.  It's all right.  We understand.... You're getting older...  you hear things..."

Sheesh!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

I love to read the stories you tell about your pets, Glenna I can just picture Smoke with her claw in the screendoor allowing her friends to enter the room! I've always known that cats are smarter than what some people may think and that you can teach them things. 
As a child I had a cat named Piet (Pete) that would wake me up every morning and then she would lie down on the floor and roll around on her back (I had to do physio exercises every morning).  As soon as I would get my exercise mat out and start doing the physio Piet would wander off again doing her own thing.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

lol thats a good trick. I remember my cat used to wait at the screen door to be let out and I must have been a bit slow one day. She decided to run up the screen door and stand on the handle, bingo, door open. I'll never forget the day I locked the door, the look I got had daggers in it.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]