• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Moderate work in progress

Started by haleygd, November 26, 2008, 12:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haleygd

Just needed to take a break from this before I started into the more difficult areas. Been working in manageable chunks; table, sheets, wall, headboard, gown, etc. I stole the wallpaper from the last photo in the same group I worked on and may grab some headboard data from there too.

And I hope everyone (USA) has a wonderful Thanksgiving Day tomorrow!

Gary
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Hannie

Great job so far Gary!  I like the color/levels adjustments, very nice.
Best wishhes for you on Thanksgiving as well.  In The Netherlands we don't celebrate this day but last year I made a traditional dinner with the complete works: turkey, sage stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, corn, green beans, taters, pumpkin pie and I even made corn bread for the very first time! 
(makes my mouth water just thinking of it)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

haleygd

Ok, almost done... Still have a few misc touchups but the HAIR has me stumped. I cleaned up the face with a B/W adjustment and then painting in color on a new layer with the layer style set to color. (Still got the eyes and lips to recolor) Any thoughts on what to do with the hair?

Thanks,
Gary
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Tess (Tassie D)

Can you post a larger picture Gary? It's a little hard to see what her hair is like.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Here is a link on our site that Tess got together that might help you with hair: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/tutorials/

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

haleygd

Thanks for the tutorial redirect. They make it sound so simple. And when they say it works better with a stylus than a mouse, believe them! LOL well I tried and here is the first results. I started working on the eyes and well I can only say I won't show them, yup that bad. Maybe a new day will help...

Gary

haleygd

Ok, its a new day and I reworked the hair to make it a bit lighter and tried to add some lighting highlights. And I think I have some passable eyes too... And I figured out how to embed larger previews!  Critiques before going final appreciated.

Ok, in seeing the preview the hair still not perfect. But....    :-\

Gary

Hannie

Hi Gary,

What a beautiful cleanup of the nighty and all those ugly bright yellow stains!
If you look at the blue channel you'll find the girl's face and hair almost intact.  She has such a sweet face it would be great if it were possible to repair it (and the hair).

If we can it always nice to make a photo look like new again but in this case I would opt for a not so clean look so you can preserve the features of the girl better.
I am not making any sense at all...  :D

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hannie, you're making perfect sense to me.

Gary, I'm having the same quandary with my current restoration.  I have one face that I'm going crazy trying to get right.  Enough of her visage shows that I feel as if I should be able to fill in the blanks and get a credible likeness, but as I work she gets flatter and flatter until she looks nothing like the original.

You do have a fairly good portion of skin with which to work, and I think Hannie's spot on (is that a pun?) when she says you might channel surf to get a bit more of her likeness and in tiny increments clone and patch.  I downloaded your low-res version and couldn't make out a lot, but what I could see looks as if you might be able to pull more contour and shape from the original.  I liken what I do in cases like this to pointillism, where I'm virtually replacing one or two pixels at a time until I get enough good skin to work with larger areas.

Today, after a break of a couple of days, I'm going to give my lady another try.  This'll be the fifth iteration and I may have to do the best I can and then cry uncle!  I hate when that happens!

Good luck!

Cheers,

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

haleygd

I've gone to the channels several times to pull data but never got it any where near what you did.  What channel(s) were you working with?

(and I understood what your were saying too... does that mean we all are crazy?)

Gary

Hannie

Quote(and I understood what your were saying too... does that mean we all are crazy?)
Yes it does, and thank God for that!  (can you imagine how boring life would be if we were all sane?)

Gary, I looked at the blue channel in RGB mode.  You can even copy that channel and past it on top of your restore in luminosity mode. then you can use it for reference.
Kiska explains that in this topic:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1595.msg16789.html#msg16789

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Quote from: Hannie on November 29, 2008, 04:22:23 PM
Quote(and I understood what your were saying too... does that mean we all are crazy?)
Yes it does, and thank God for that!  (can you imagine how boring life would be if we were all sane?)

We are not only crazy but certifiably crazy.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Shujen, darn it, I resemble that remark!  I suspect that having a few maverick brain cells is what allows us to so cheerfully slog our way through the restorations.

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

haleygd

Ok, you should find this a marked improvement, though I at least am clueless as to how the hair on the photo left of the girl is supposed to be. So I filled in the flare-ups and tried to smooth it out a bit....

I hope I never look outside to see the sun rising when I finally walk away from one of these!

Gary

glennab

Hi Gary

She's looking great!  Your tweaks made a huge difference.  My one pick would be that she needs some contouring on the left (our left) side of her face.  It looks just a little flat

Because of the damage to her hair, you'll never be able to get it perfect, but what you've done looks just fine to me.

I didn't wake up to the sun shining after working on my "orphan" last night, but I got so involved in my progress that I didn't save.  Then I got the dreaded "Photoshop has unexpectedly quit" message.  Lost everything.  ##@¡¡••#$?**  and furthermore @#!**!

Cheers

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)