• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Help lost in 70"s decor

Started by Deborahjc, November 26, 2008, 08:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deborahjc

Looking for comments and advice on my second restoration.

First of all any comments on the overall restoration? 

I am having problems with this rug.  When I copy, paste and transform good pieces of carpet onto this picture I end up with a very tortured looking texture.  Any ideas on how to do this?  Also I am not really sure I have the colors right on the right hand side of the picture (not sure if it is an oval or a circle). 

I am starting to dream about these rug :crazy:

Thanks!
Deb

glennab

Hi Deborah

Ah yes, the rug!  We had an entire group of photos from one family with the same type of floor covering – and more than one in a room.  I feel your pain!.

The restoration is spot on except for the area of concern about the rug.  I notice that in the right corner where you've had to "rebuild," the outer darkest border is missing.  What I'm wondering is if there's a way to copy the good rug in the center, then paste and morph it to fit in the corner.  You might have to use some unconventional methods to get it to fit, but from experience, I'd say anything is better than having to recreate it then having dreams about "rag" rugs (I think that's what they were called)!

I've never tried liquify and I know it's really touchy, but I'd be tempted to at least try that with very fine pushes of the brush just to see what happens.

The only other very small pick is that the contour of the baby bottle is a little too straight compared to the original.

Nice work!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

haleygd

If there are other photos, what about cloning from another rug on another photo?
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

schen

Deb,

The restoration looks great.  The missing rug in the dark corner isn't that obvious.  If you really like to do something about it, this is the method I will use:

1. Add a brightness/contrast layer so that the boundary of the rug is clearly visible

2. Add a blank layer and use the brush tool to draw the outlines of the rug roughly where you would like to have them

3. Select the good area of rug between the girls with the lasso tool

4. Do a copy and paste (ctrl-c then ctrl-v for PC); this will create a new layer with the selected area pasted in it

5. Drag that piece of rug to the location you want to replace using the move tool

6. Use Edit>Transform>scale, rotate, distort, warp to fit the replacement piece to the outlines

7. Turn off the layer with the outlines

8. Add a mask to the layer with the replacement area; use brush tool and black paint to remove the border so that the replacement piece fits in with the surrounding areas and reveals the bottle

9. Use level adjustment, color balance, dodge and burn on the replacement layer so that the replacement area blends in with the surrounding

10. Turn off the brightness/contrast layer; use healing brush tool to further blend in the replacement area if necessary

Hope this helps.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Deborahjc

Wow!  Thanks for the terrific help.   :loveit:  Feedback like this is what makes me brave enough to try some of these.  Schen a heartfelt thanks for the detailed response.  I had tried to copy/paste/morph but it didnt work out right.  I am now encouraged to use your method and try again. 

Deb

schen

The key to this method is that the replacement area is added to a new layer where you can morph, adjust color, level and mask.  If you don't like what you see, you can always alter that layer and mask again and again.

I used this technique to reconstruct her legs below:

http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=401
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Atlantis

I must admit when I saw that rug again I ran away as fast as I could  :crazy:
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Deborahjc

This was a classic example of learning from the forum members.   I had been using free transform instead of transform.  I knew there must be a better way to set it into position and morph it!   The transform tool was magic!  An exciting day for a newbie.  Thanks for the patient step by step advice Schen.   :wnw:

This is worthy of a tutorial (but then again maybe I'm the only one that didnt know how to do this).   My knowledge depth is a bit superficial if it isnt written in a Kelby or an Eismann book it is news to me.  I have the Ctein book (my first photoshop book!) but I need a translator on hand to use it.  :wow:

I have played with the rug a bit.  Took care of yet more spots and tried to make the bottle look a little more realistic. 

What do you guys think should I let the little girls go home and start back on my "what was I thinking" project?

Tess (Tassie D)

You've done a beautiful job on this Deb. :up2: Don't mind Atlantis, bad experience with a similar rug in another photo.  ;D
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

DougB

Well done Deb, and thanks to Schen for the Masterclass.  You cannot have enough information when using programs like Photoshop, I shall certainly be using this in the future.

Thanks

Doug.

Atlantis

Quote from: Tassie D on November 28, 2008, 09:13:53 PM
Don't mind Atlantis, bad experience with a similar rug in another photo.  ;D

I was only being polite and generous, I think every member deserves a chance to work with these rugs. After doing three of them I finally learned the importance of sharing the goodies. :halo:
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.