• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Suggestions on this one?

Started by DavidS, November 12, 2008, 07:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidS

This one was a lot more difficult that I had originally thought and has taken longer than I would have liked.

The biggest problem is not having a good face shot for the parents from which to rebuild. I had to try and use clues under the damage and I know that it is not perfect.

If you can suggest any improvements, please do! I want to get it uploaded ASAP since the rest of the set is about done and they want to get it back to the family.

Mhayes

David, I think you have done a great job on this one!  :up: The only thing that catches my eye is that the man looks different. I'm not sure if it is because his eyes look more narrow or because the shadows on his face have been lifted so much. You have done a good job on the woman, but maybe a little less teeth? I took the old photo and then dropped your restore on top and then did a layer mask with nothing concealed. I then took a brush with the foreground black to conceal on the mask and painted around those areas mentioned above. I did a merge visible so that I could take a brush and restore those areas that I had brought back in. You probably need some more opinions on this one.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

Rebuilding faces is really, really hard! And I know from experience that you miss oddities when you work too long at one sitting or if you're feeling pressure to get done fast. You've made a very good start on this one. My observations, for what they're worth:

The shape of both of the man's eyes has changed. His lids are much more pronounced in the original. His right (our left) eye is kanked the wrong way - you have the upper lid going upward away from his nose; the original has it going downward. You can get a general idea of the shape from how his sons look. Shadows aren't consistent across his face. Should be either all deep or all light, and consistent with lighting in the rest of the photo..

The woman's eyes are beautifully done. Highlight on her right cheek is too hot in the wrong place (you can tell I've been taking retouching lessons to beef up my restoration skills  :)) Her mouth is odd - half is smiling and half is growling.

<C>
<C>