• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Thank you veterans and those still serving in the military.

Started by glennab, November 11, 2008, 08:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

It's Veterans Day and I'd like to wish all of our former and present citizens in the military my utmost gratitude for your willingness to put your lives on the line in service to our country.  You are loved and honored!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

NormR

Dave

Thanks for the thanks.

Dave
Helicopter crewchief
U.S. Army  (served in the Gulf War)
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Dave, as far as I'm concerned you can never get enough thanks!

Interestingly, Iron Man was a Marine chopper crew chief in Viet Nam and was badly wounded in a couple of crashes. Because of the way the Viet Nam vets were treated during that debacle, I feel it's especially important that all of you who served receive our gratitude, not only on Veteran's Day, but on a regular basis!

This year is the first time IM has outwardly shown his pride in being a Marine (the pride was always there, just stuffed away to avoid any more hurt – after 40 years!).  He now owns at least a dozen Marine t-shirts, wears them constantly, and I wear one for him and all other members of our services every Friday.  Our troops are the very best!

Hugs and salutes!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you, from failing hands, we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

I noticed on my calendar at work that just before our Veterans' Day there was a Remembrance Day UK and on V-Day Canada also had a Remembrance Day.  A question for our beloved Brits and Canadians: do your Remembrance Days have the same significance as our Veterans' Day, or are they in honor of something different?

Cheers,

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Our remembrance day is the same as the UK, one minutes silence at the 11th hour of the 11day, 11th month in memory of our fallen soldiers.
Our veterans day would be ANZAC Day on the 25th April each year. The vets march in their home towns and cities, wreaths are laid and the public gather with them for either a dawn or mid morning service.
This link shows each country's observance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Tess, thanks for the reference to Remembrance Day.  It sounds as if it's very similar to Veterans' Day and Memorial Day put together.

All the world's true warriors should be honored.  I only hope that one day we'll evolve to the point that there won't be precious blood spilled for any cause.

Hugs,

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Charlene5

Y'all brought tears to my old eyes.  Thank you.  I barbecued for democracy and policed up my area along the border of East and West Germany during the Cold War years. 

MJ, formerly SP6 Johnson, who served with:

WAC Detachment, Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, New York               
Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 8th Infantry Division
Headquarters and Headquarters Company, III Corps
Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Cavalry Division
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

glennab

MJ, when were you in Germany?

I was in Bremerhaven when the Berlin wall went up ('58, '59?), and I remember everyone being so afraid.  Back then we had drills in school in case an atom bomb dropped.  Of course, if that were to happen, being under one's desk in a classroom would be the best possible shelter!(??????)

I salute you for serving.  Thank you.

Hugs,

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Charlene5

Quote from: glennab on November 13, 2008, 11:46:09 PM
MJ, when were you in Germany?

I was in Bad Kreuznach (in the Rhineland), Wurzberg (Bavaria) , and Crailsheim (which no one, including Germans, has heard of) in Baden-Württemberg,

We had those same atom bomb drills in Los Angeles.  You dove under your desk and put your butt to the window.  In that position, we were assured, we were safe from nuclear incineration.  If you'd like to idle away some time today have a look at the public service movie here:  http://www.archive.org/details/AtomicAl1951  I remember seeing that film in the third grade.

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

glennab

MJ, that film was certainly a sign of the times.  What I remember seeing at about age 10 is a gawd-awful animated movie that showed people being blown apart, houses destroyed, cities exploding.  I had nightmares for months.  Then I read Hiroshima in my early teens, and had nightmares for years!

I can't say I miss those days.  I'd rather be here now, in the world of SciFi.  Love technology.

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)