• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Advice on first restore?

Started by Ohn0s3, November 03, 2008, 07:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohn0s3

Hello all,  I've been working with my first image and there was a of lot of details lost in the lower left hand corner.  I've started roughing in some details (ignore the girls toes, they look hack right now).  Whats the typical restore method for this sort of problem?  Go off the information that does exist and replicate it the best you can like I started to do or crop off part of the left hand side of the photo? 

Thanks!

glennab

Hi O03

You've gone a long way with the corner in question already.  If you can fill in the rest of the "blank" without guessing at too much, I'd say go for it.  Since that corner doesn't hold critical information, you might be able to get permission from your distribution coordinator to judiciously crop if you don't want to go that route.  Despite your remark, I think the girl's toes look pretty darn good.  My only pick would be to try to get a little more contrast.  Your color looks fine otherwise.  Nice job!

Cheers,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Hi OhnO,

Welcome to the forum, your first OPR restore looks really good!
I agree with Glenna that you have come a long way already and I don't think you need to crop.  You have fixed up the damaged part real well and it seems like there isn't that much more to do. 
You have adjusted the colors to get rid of the yellow cast, you can also do a little more levels adjustment to give it an even better result.

On the left of this page you will find the Official OPR Handbook, there Margie explains how to do a levels adjustment on the separate red, green and blue channels.  After you've done that you could also

-add a color balance adjustment layer and enter these values for the color levels: -36  +46  +60  (cyan/red, magenta/green, yellow/blue)

-add hue/saturation adjustment layer and slide the adjustment for saturation to +24 (or less, I think that I overdid it a little here!)

Great job,

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]