• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

You can leave your hat on

Started by Atlantis, October 30, 2008, 08:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

Margie suggested I could crop around the chair but I thought I might try to recreate what might be beneath the damage to give either her or QC the choice of cropping as I hesitated to go from landscape to portrait format.

Now I wonder:

- does the chair look authentical enough, especially the top, I looked through the gallery of this family but could not find another photo with this chair - maybe it was already taken *looks around with bambi-eyes*
- same question for what I assumed to be a sidetable on our right of the chair
- could the damage on the hat be flowers and could the way I left it pass as flowers or should I try to find a similar hat
- what else could be improved and what should be considered a tragic loss of data

The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

kiska

Hi Atlantis. Good job!

This is VERY rough and needs a lot of fine tuning. I believe the hat and table are bigger.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Hi Atlantis

Another point of view...

I think  you've done a marvelous job with this restoration.  However, I agree with Margie, that judicious cropping would serve it better than creating part of the hat that's undefinable and the top of the chair, the shape of which you can only guess.  I'd crop in proportionately, bring the photo back up to its original size and lose as much of the damage as possible. The hat is definitely larger than you're showing, as Kiska has indicated.  My take is that if you can't really identify the area of damage, and admin okays cropping, go with the crop.  Get as much of the hat and chair in as you can define, keep it to the proportions of the original and leave it at that.  The little girl is the focal point, and it appears to me that the rest is superfluous.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Atlantis

Cropping in the same dimensions would mean 4,5 x 3,5 inch at resolution 300 ( ? : I'm metric  8) ) and I would end up sending something like this home :

... and maybe sent the other one too so "they" can make another crop if desired ...
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Mhayes

I think your crop looks great! I normally don't suggest cropping, but the damage on this made it seemed the better options.  Go ahead and send two version if you would like. Thanks for the great job and taking a photo from this family. All of the Dyke photos in my gallery have been sitting there for some time and I'm hoping more will be taken. Once they are gone, we will have completed all of the Coffeyville, KS flood photos.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]