• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Not quite done, but I have questions

Started by lurch, October 24, 2008, 08:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurch

Here's a work in progress that I have some questions about.

• Any opinions on how wide the baseboard should be? I can see the top but not the bottom.
  • Should there be table top showing? One would think so, but there's no evidence.
  • Should there be floor showing? If the table isn't, one could imagine some floor.
  • I'm tempted to try remaking the banner from scratch. Is that ok?

Thanks to any and all who can help.
<C>

weewood

Lurch,,,,You have done a great job. The baseboard you have done is okay, I would leave it as is. I do think there should be a table, maybe with just a white cloth, no floor showing. The banner is just fine, since it a metalic banner, the glow from the flash will distort it anyway. So, I say, add the table and table cloth, and you will done.

Regards, David   
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

glennab

Hi Lurch

The first thing I'd do with this image is straighten it. I don't know if you've ever done this but it's a great trick.  Get your measure tool (it's hidden under the eyedropper).  Start on one end of a straight plane that should be horizontal or vertical, click and drag the line from the measure tool along that plane and click again.  If you then go up to Image/Rotate Canvas and click on Arbitrary, the line you used will measure the degrees off parallel or perpendicular and they'll show in the Arbitrary box.  All you have to do is click okay and you'll have a straightened image.  Maybe then the light on the wall won't look as if it's about to fall over.

I can see what appears to be baseboard on our left, going over to the edge of the man's suit.  It's probably about 3 inches, gauging by the proportions of everything else.  I think there is a little bit of table showing (It appears grey to me), but only the edge seems to be evident.

And I definitely wouldn't recreate the banner.  I'd do the best I could to clean it and tone down some of the blown-out areas.  Doing any more than that would be outside of our mandate.  We need to keep as much of the original as we can.

You've been going great guns on these restorations.  Kudos!

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

lurch

David and Glenna, thank you both. One tablecloth coming up! Glenna, I didn't know that straightening was allowed; I do it all the time on my own photos 'cause I seem to be incapable of holding the camera perfectly straight ::) Unfortunately, that made that sconce a little more tipsy - but the whole photo looks better with vertical verticals. I could straighten the sconce . . . it was probably askew in reality, though.

And the banner will just get some cleanup. Not sure I could have done a realistic job from scratch anyway.

Thanks again
<C>
<C>

Mhayes

Hi Lurch,

Yes, you can straighten a photo, but normally we have already done that before we put them in the gallery. Unfortunately, this one slipped by. (thanks GK) Your photo is looking good!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]