• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Critique again please

Started by recycledhippy, October 08, 2008, 08:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recycledhippy

mschonher

Hi Hippy,

If I hadn't told you before, welcome to OPR.

You're doing a good job on this messy photo but the background needs work and the faces might be a bit too soft.  My opinion.

It wouldn't be a good idea to leave the bkg. black it would look too cold.
Here's what I did.  I evened out the background on a new layer of course, using either the clone tool or the healing brush set to "replace" mode.  When it was evened out I made a new layer and used the Healing brush set to normal mode to blend in any rough areas.  I do this by placing my cursor in a good spot and then using a circular motion just go all over the background until it looks good.  At this point be careful not to get too close to the kids or the carpet.  When I was finished with those 2 steps I flattened the layers or you could just merge visible layers, it's up to you.

I added a new layer and chose the burgundy color on the boy's shirt.  I got myself the Nagel series 42 brush # 841.  I set the opacity slider to approx. 50% and stroked in some of that color.  I began my stroke on the upper right of the area I had chosen and then pulled my brush diagonally and downward.  You can adjust how much color you use with the opacity slider on the layers pallet. You can even give this layer a Gausian blur of about.8 if needed.

I repeated this process on another new layer but chose the royal blue color on the boy's pants down by the carpet. Flatter nor merge down.

When the background is as you like it you can choose the lasso tool set anywhere from 4 to 7 and go around the outside edges of the people where it's still damaged.  In increments go around the shape of the hair, shoulder, arm, dress etc. Do this by drawing along the shape, for instance hair, draw the shape closest to the head but then make it wider by bringing your brush outward and around.  I'll post a sample right after I'm done posting this.  You can now move this shape outward to the left to a good area to steal from. Hit cntrl C, Cntrl V and then just the V and move the selection up against, in this case, the hair.  This does not take long and once you've done it a few times it quite fast.

I did this same technique for the sleeve but I used the lasso on an inside shape then moved that shape to a good area, the cntrl. C, cntrl,V then the V and moved it back to the damaged area.

I hope I have not confused you Hippy but I'll post a demo......................Mary

mschonher

I hope this makes the process a little clearer..........Mary

recycledhippy

Mary

Many thanks for you input
I am still very new to Photoshop and restoration so  I am like a sponge and will absorb as much info as I can
I shall look forward to reading the tutorial - but I must admit that I'm pretty useless learning that way

I have learnt most of what I do by trial and error + a few video tutorials found around the web

Many thx again
Les

mschonher

Hi Les,

You are very welcome.  Sounds like you are self taught like me.  I wish I was better at writing a tut but it's not my forte at all.  I tried to be specific knowing you're new, but I don't even know how to do screen shots.  Some members write such beautiful tuts, Shujen comes to mind, his are wonderful.

Trial and error has worked for me but I have learned so much here on the forum. Good luck with your photo, you are off to wonderful start here.  I hope I didn't confuse you.

Mary

recycledhippy

Yes Mary

All I can do is learnt mainly by trial and error
But, now I find I need tutorials more and more to progress quicker
Hoping one day to be able to compete with the likes of yourself
Without people like yourself and others here, Photoshop would be a lot lot longer learning curve

Many thx again for the help

Les